There’s plenty of Eurovision action tonight, with something for everybody and you can keep track of it all right here on escXtra.

Iceland makes its choice for Stockholm in the Söngvakeppnin final which you can follow in its own devoted blog here, while Melodifestivalen continues in Sweden with live coverage of the third heat here.

The rest of the evening’s activities can be found here, where Lithuania’s mammoth selection process reaches its seventh week, Finland and Hungary reach the final stages before their respective finals next week, and Estonia completes the line-up for the final on March 5. We’ll be blogging the action from all these shows right below, and while you’re waiting, here is some information on what to look forward to…

Hungary (semi-final 2)

Among others, we’ll be following the second semi-final of the Hungarian preselection A Dal 2016 tonight. Last week, we already witnessed Petruska, Gergö Oláh, the Kállay Saunders Band, and Mushu making it to the final. Another nine contestants are now hoping to join them. Three of them will be chosen by a combination of jury and public voting, and one more finalist will be selected in an additional televoting round. The nine participating artists in alphabetical order are:

• André Vásáry – ‘Why’
  • ByTheWay – ‘Free To Fly’
  • Egy Másik Zenekar – ‘Kéne Közös Kép’
  • Freddie – ‘Pioneer’
  • Laci Gáspár – ‘Love and Bass’
  • Nika – ‘Emlékkép’
  • Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth – ‘Seven Seas’
  • Parno Graszt – ‘Már Nem Szédülök’
  • Passed – ‘Driftin’

The show starts at 19:40 CET and can be viewed on Mediaklikk’s stream of Duna TV.

Finland (semi-final 3)

The third and final heat of Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu takes place tonight with another six songs competing for the public’s votes and for the three remaining places in next week’s final. Here’s the line-up for tonight:

1. Lieminen – Pehmeiden Arvojen Vaalijat
  2. Tuuli Okkonen – Don’t Wake Me Up
  3. Gušani Brothers – Poom Poom
  4. Barbe-Q-Barbies – Let Me Out
  5. Pietarin Spektaakkeli – Liian Kuuma
  6. Sandhja – Sing It Away

The show starts at 20:00 CET and you can follow our coverage below or watch along at YLE’s website. Make sure to get accustomed to the songs with the help of our review of tonight’s heat.

Lithuania (show 7)

This is the last show before we will come down to just 1 group of performers. 3 acts will leave tonight. The following artists will be performing:

4 Roses – Butterfly
E.G.O. – Long Way From Home
Saulenė Chlevickaitė – Strong
Neringa Šiaudikytė – Never Knew Love
Aistė Pilvelytė – You Bet
Ruslanas Kirilkinas – In My World
Milda Martinkėnaitė – If Tomorrow Never Comes
Ieva Zasimauskaitė – Life (Not That Beautiful)

The show starts at 20:00 CET and can be watched here.

Estonia (semi-final 2)

The search for Estonia’s Eurovision 2016 song continues tonight, with another ten acts competing for the five remaining places in the final. The qualifiers will be determined by the combination of jury votes and televoting. Here’s the running order:

1. Go Away Bird – Sally
  2. Jüri Pootsmann – Play
  3. Meisterjaan – Parmupillihullus
  4. I Wear* Experiment – Patience
  5. Púr Múdd – Meet Halfway
  6. Grete Paia – Stories Untold
  7. Põhja-Tallinn & Jaagup Kreem – Eiolemulolla
  8. Anett Kulbin – Strong
  9. Gertu Pabbo – Miljon korda
  10. La La Ladies – Unikaalne

The show begins at 20:35 CET and can be viewed on ERR’s official website. Preview tonight’s songs and see what our editors think right here.

February 20, 20169:18 pm

ESTONIA

That’s it for tonight, the next show from Estonia is of course the final on March 5. Have a good night everyone!

February 20, 20169:16 pm

ESTONIA

The qualifiers are: Grete Paia, Meisterjaan, Go Away Bird, Jüri Pootsmann and I Wear* Experiment.

February 20, 20169:10 pm

ESTONIA

In case you were wondering: no, I have no idea who this “interval act” guy is.

February 20, 20169:07 pm

ESTONIA

The jury qualifiers are: I Wear* Experiment, Jüri Pootsmann, Anett Kulbin, Púr Múdd and Go Away Bird.

February 20, 20168:58 pm

ESTONIA

Announcement: Isac Elliot will be performing in the final on March 5!

February 20, 20168:49 pm

Song #10: La La Ladies – Unikaalne
I loved this! The song is so positive, which comes good after all the sad ones this year. Their vocals were great, and the staging was quite interesting. Their hairstyle somehow reminds me of Moje 3 though…

February 20, 20168:49 pm

HUNGARY

So, we will see Freddie, André Vásáry, Parno Graszt, and Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth next week in the A Dal 2016 final!
Have a good night, everyone!

February 20, 20168:46 pm

HUNGARY

And the winner of the televoting is… Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth!

February 20, 20168:44 pm

HUNGARY

I finally understood one sentence of tonight’s show right before the announcement of the televoting winner, because it was a line of “Kedvesem”.

February 20, 20168:42 pm

Song #9: Gertu Pabbo – Miljon Korda
Gertu’s staging seemed boring from the snippet,but now it looks really interesting and fitting. I have no idea what she is singing about, but I don’t need to in order to enjoy this song. She will qualify, but won’t be anywhere near the superfinal. And let me just add that this is the second great dress already, they are clearly trying to compensate for those fashion disasters last week.

February 20, 20168:38 pm

HUNGARY

While the televoters are doing their job, we get to listen to a Hungarian rock legend (at least that’s what I got from his introduction) singing a rather boring ballad in a duet with another probably famous singer. They are accompanied by a string orchestra. As the show kicked off with a lullaby, I guess it also has to close with one.

February 20, 20168:35 pm

Song #8: Anett Kulbin – Strong
I honestly find this song quite boring, but the performance was great. Anett had the best vocals so far, and the staging with the mirrors is mysterious and dark, I love it! I also think her dress is gorgeous. Sure qualifier if you ask me.

February 20, 20168:32 pm

HUNGARY

It’s time for the second voting round. Only the televoters can judge now on the six remaining acts. Only one of them can join join Freddie, André, and Parno Graszt in the final. It’s gonna be a close call as all of them got either 5 or 6 points in the first public voting. But the voting starts from scratch now and only the televoters decide. I’d go for Laci Gáspár, but Nika’s chances couldn’t be too bad either.

February 20, 20168:30 pm

Song #7: Põhja-Tallinn & Jaagup Kreem – Eiolemulolla
This song is definitely my guilty pleasure of Eesti Laul. I was singing along with them, even though I don’t speak a word of Estonian. Their vocals were horrible, but they put on a great show, hopefully they will qualify and bring even more fun to the final.

February 20, 20168:26 pm

HUNGARY

The jury give 36 points to Parno Graszt including one score of 10, the public give only 6 points. This leads to 42 points in total and leaves them on a joint 2nd place with André Vásáry. We’ll see both of them as well as Freddie in the final!

February 20, 20168:24 pm

Song #6: Grete Paia – Stories Untold

Grete, of course, delivered an amazing performance, but those backing vocals are rather annoying. If she could change them for the final (for which she will obviously qualify), that would make me love the act even more. However, I don’t think she has a chance of winning this year.

February 20, 20168:21 pm

9) Parno Graszt – Már nem szédülök
The last act of tonight’s show is coming along with gypsy music, accordion and all. The jury seems to like it as they are singing and swaying along. I’d give 4/10, because it’s a little too depressing.

February 20, 20168:15 pm

HUNGARY

Three times 10 points from the jury! All together 38, plus a 9 from the public. Freddie is in the lead with 47 points and we will see him and André in the final next week!

February 20, 20168:14 pm

Song #5: Púr Múdd – Meet Halfway
This isn’t the best song, but it’s definitely the best performance so far! It fits the song, and I really love the dark atmosphere. The vocals were also really good, I am pretty sure they will qualify.

February 20, 20168:13 pm

8) Freddie – Pioneer
It’s time for A Dal’s runaway favorite this year. Well deserved as his voice is incredibly recognizable and the strong beats of song make you get goosebumps all the way through the song. 10/10!

February 20, 20168:11 pm

FINLAND

The final qualifier for next week’s final is Sandhja with Sing It Away!

February 20, 20168:10 pm

Tuuli through with Don’t Wake Me Up

February 20, 20168:09 pm

HUNGARY

The summed up result so far:

1. André Vásáry – Why (42)
2. Nika – Emlékkép (39)
3. Laci – Gáspár – Love and Bass (35)
4. Passed – Driftin’ (33)
4. Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth – Seven Seas (33)
4. Egy Másik Zenekar – Kéne közös kép (33)
7. ByTheWay – Free to Fly (26)

As there are only two more acts to go, we already now for sure, that we’ll see the opera guy André Vásáry in the final next week unfortunately.

February 20, 20168:09 pm

FINLAND: Barbe-Q-Barbies are first through.

February 20, 20168:09 pm

It’s results time in FINLAND.

February 20, 20168:07 pm

Song #4: I Wear* Experiment – Patience
Her vocals were on point! Same as Kaugel Sinust last week, I didn’t find the song special before, but hearing the live version, it’s quite impressive. The performance is enjoyable too, and I think we will be seeing them in the final.

February 20, 20168:04 pm

HUNGARY

The jury gives 26, the public 5. 31 in total and a current last place for ByTheWay.

February 20, 20168:02 pm

7) ByTheWay – Free to Fly
Those three guys are quite cute and have probably practised all week to get to that synchronized jump on stage. Again, the song contains an unnecessary rap part. 6/10 from me.

February 20, 20168:02 pm

FINLAND

Ok I THINK probably Songs 2, 4 and 6 to the final.

February 20, 20168:00 pm

Song #3: Meisterjaan – Parmupillihullus
I will just say the performance fits the song: it’s weird, really weird. But since we know Estonians like weird things (Winny Puhh, anyone?), I can see this qualifying.

February 20, 20167:56 pm

HUNGARY

The jury seems to be pretty impressed by Nika and give 33 points. The public vote of 6 leads to a total of 39.

February 20, 20167:54 pm

Song #2: Jüri Pootsmann – Play
This song is such a masterpiece if you ask me, it’s definitely my favourite tonight, and thankfully Jüri didn’t disappoint me. His vocals were on point, and the performance was simple yet not boring. A disaster has to happen for him not to qualify.

February 20, 20167:51 pm

6) Nika – Emlékkep
The very disturbing visual projection on Nika’s face is creeping me out. As I’m not a fan of electronic pop I’d give 5/10 for her powerful voice and energy on stage.

February 20, 20167:48 pm

Song #1: Go Away Bird – Sally
What a great opening of the show! I love this song, it’s catchy, happy, and the lyrics are really interesting. The black and white effects reminded me of Elina&Stig’s performance from last year, but the singer’s blue hair totally compensates for it. I also liked her vocals, hopefully they will qualify.

February 20, 20167:46 pm

FINLAND

Yes Sing It Away just became a big contender. It works so well live.

February 20, 20167:46 pm

6. Sandhja – Sing It Away
This is a very catchy disco/soul/POP song. One of the favourites I’m led to believe. Sandhja is singing the crap out of it as well. It’s very cheesy but it works so well.

February 20, 20167:42 pm

5. Liian Kuuma
Bit of a throwback to the 50s here. Laid back jivey retro type thing. Cheesy and boring. Next.

February 20, 20167:40 pm

HUNGARY

29 points from the jury for Laci Gáspár, 6 points from the public. A total of 35, which leaves him in second place for now.

February 20, 20167:37 pm

FINLAND

This is shaping up to be a strong semi so far. I could make the case for any of these 4 going through so far.

February 20, 20167:37 pm

ESTONIA

Good evening Europe, we are live now!

February 20, 20167:37 pm

5) Laci Gáspár – Love and Bass
This is a very uptempo dancy tune. Not only his hat reminds me of Guy Sebastian. If it wasn’s for the rap part I would really love this. He should’ve left his guitar backstage to show us some more dance moves. 7/10

February 20, 20167:35 pm

4. Barbe-Q-Barbies
It’s lesbian anthem time!! Big Eurovision rock song from an all girl rock group. It is very hooky, filled with attitude, and the singer is fantastic. Not my cup of tea, but this is sailing through. It is Finland remember and they love their rock!!

February 20, 20167:29 pm

HUNGARY

The jury give 27 points, the public 6, so Passed join Egy Másik Zenekar and Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth in a total score of 33.

February 20, 20167:27 pm

FINLAND

Ok lead Gušani has no stage presence at all. It went down very well with the audience though.

February 20, 20167:26 pm

3. Gušani Brothers – Poom Poom
Very dramatic start to this, a bit like a music video, and suddenly PYROS and this summer holiday banger kicks in. The lead vocal is very weak but there are plenty of backing vocals in the chorus. So danceable and it would have the arena going crazy at Eurovision.

February 20, 20167:25 pm

4) Passed – Driftin’
An interesting combination of house beats and harp sounds. Kind of dreamy and quite catchy. I like the pink and blue balloons on stage as well as the hypnotizing background visuals. But not really a song for Eurovision. I’d give 6/10.

February 20, 20167:19 pm

2. Don’t Wake Me Up
Tuuli looks very pretty, much better than in her music video. Very nervy start vocally but she pulls it together for the chorus where Rith Lorenzo rain effects kick in. Visually very good, and there’s a firework wall. Overall a very good package even if her vocals had me on edge at times.

February 20, 20167:16 pm

HUNGARY

Wow, the jury seems to love this and gives 36 points! Only 6 points from the public though lead to a total of 42.

February 20, 20167:12 pm

Hi UMKers!

1. Lieminen
Catchy start to the show, this has a Daft Punk feel to it. Very catchy even though it’s in hard to follow Finnish. I love the staging although there’s about a dozen people on stage with globes on their heads. Vocals aren’t great but I think it still stands a good chance of progressing.

February 20, 20167:12 pm

André Vásáry – Why
It’s time for a litte bit of opera. Highly dramatic with burning skyscrapers in the background, I feel more than uncomfortable with this song. “Why oh why?” is all that’s left to ask. 1/10

February 20, 20167:07 pm

HUNGARY

Olivér looked like he was about to cry listening to what the jury had to say. They give 27 points after all. With 6 points from the public it adds up to 33 points as well.

February 20, 20167:02 pm

2) Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth – Seven Seas
A pop duet like we’ve heard it a million times before. Her voice has a touch of Rihanna. I’m not really impressed by the live performance and her ripped jeans. 5/10 from me.

February 20, 20166:58 pm

HUNGARY

28 points from the jury, better than I had expected. But only 5 from the public voting. A total score of 33!

February 20, 20166:55 pm

HUNGARY

Whoa, I thought juror Pierrot would never stop talking. With his eyes wide open, I’m not sure whether he was scared by the song or completely stunned. We’ll find out the scores in a bit.

February 20, 20166:51 pm

1) Egy Másik Zenekar – Kéne kösöz kép
Great, we start with a lullaby. The highlight is the falling curtain to reveil the band and a rain of glitter. Good night, everyone. I’d give 3/10 for a nice melody at least.

February 20, 20166:46 pm

HUNGARY

In a first voting round, every song will get a score from 1-10 from each of the four jury members as well as an aggregated score of the online/mobile app voting. So all in all, every song can get up to 50 points.

February 20, 20166:44 pm

HUNGARY

We started with a recap of what happened last week. Now, the presenters introduce to us all of tonight’s contestants.

February 20, 20166:41 pm

HUNGARY

A Dal 2016 is kicking off with semi-final 2! Follow our blog to see which four candidates will make it to the final next week! I’m quite new to this myself and don’t know any Hungarian, but I will try my very best to keep you posted on everything that’s going on.

February 20, 20166:30 pm

Good evening everyone! Not long before all of tonight’s Eurovision fun kicks off. Remember, if you want to follow the shows in Iceland or Sweden, they have their own blogs, which can be found by following the links at the top of the page. Those links will go live just before each show begins.

Load More Related Articles