After five shows, it’s now time for the final in Hungary. It’s the second show kicking off tonight and Hungary has gone from thirty back to just eight entries left. Among them: Runaway favourite Freddie as well as 2014 Eurovision entrant András Kállay Saunders, with the Kállay Saunders Band.

The following acts are competing:

1. Mushu – Uncle Tom
  2. Parno Graszt – Már Nem Szédülök
  3. Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth – Seven Seas
  4. Petruska – Trouble In My Mind
  5. Gergő Oláh – Győz A Jó
  6. Freddie – Pioneer
  7. Kállay Saunders Band – Who We Are
  8. André Vásáry – Why

February 27, 20166:42 pm

Good evening everyone! Welcome to A Dal 2016.

February 27, 20166:48 pm

The jury just came in through the roof: Karóly Freinreisz, Zséda, Pierrot and Miklos Bóth.

February 27, 20166:51 pm

Song 1 tonight is Uncle Tom, performed by Mushu.

February 27, 20166:53 pm

Uncle Tom

Starting off with an old-fashioned telephone ringing, Mushu performs this energetic entry. There’s plenty of energy and it’s rather interesting. Vocally it’s not that great, though. I’m not entirely convinced, but it has its charm.

February 27, 20166:55 pm

Thought that was weird? Wait until you see this. Parno Graszt with Már Nem Szédülök.

February 27, 20167:00 pm

Parno Graszt – Már Nem Szédülök

It’s weird, I’ll give you that, but I quite enjoy it. It’s ethnic, it’s gypsy, it’s very fitting for Hungary. The staging is nice, the band does it well, but is this the right song for Eurovision? No.

February 27, 20167:04 pm

And swiftly moving on to the next entry. Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth with ‘Seven Seas’. They’ve not had jury support yet, so let’s see how this goes.

February 27, 20167:09 pm

Olivér Berkes & Andi Tóth – Seven Seas

A nice little song by these two, but live it’s a disaster. Especially Olivér can’t carry a tune and that’s sad. The staging is way off and I just don’t know how they can save this.

February 27, 20167:16 pm

We’re on a little break in Hungary, where we see the acts doing things they don’t usually do. They all had to do something like this if they’d qualify for the final. Parno Graszt performed in the Budapest Underground, Kállay Saunders Band did a lipsync of the Backstreet Boys.

February 27, 20167:18 pm

After that bit of fun, we’re going to an outsider for victory. It’s Petruska!

February 27, 20167:25 pm

Petruska – Trouble In My Mind

The performance isn’t doing much – it’s just Petruska and his guitar. Vocally he’s fine, but he’s also doing some tricks that he could better do without. All in all, this song is a true favourite of mine and I wouldn’t mind it winning.

February 27, 20167:28 pm

It’s time for a song that has grown on me a lot: Gergő Oláh – Győz A Jó

February 27, 20167:33 pm

Gergő Oláh

Are you serious? They’ve removed most of the ethnic in this and have just given it a Waka Waka sauce. It’s cheap now and I’m not a fan of that remix. This can win if they go back to the first version. Thanks.

February 27, 20167:42 pm

Time for a commercial break. Time to grab a drink, some snacks and get ready for more A Dal.

February 27, 20167:50 pm

Time for the runaway favourite: Freddie.

February 27, 20167:54 pm

Freddie – Pioneer

Well that lived up to the expectations. Absolutely stunning. A voice you can recognise instantly, a simple performance and this should, for me, be the runaway favourite of the night. I’d be surprised if the jury even dares to be negative about it.

February 27, 20167:57 pm

The man with Eurovision experience up next: It’s András Kállay-Saunders and his Kállay Saunders Band.

February 27, 20168:02 pm

Kállay Saunders Band – Who We Are

I didn’t expect myself to say this. András brought the song one key up and he just blew it. He claims he couldn’t hear himself and is extremely angry and disappointed. Seems the jury wants him to perform again.

February 27, 20168:07 pm

Who We Are

Second go for KSB in Hungary and he was once again rather rubbish. This really should not make the superfinal anymore. If it does, it’s on his name alone.

February 27, 20168:09 pm

No surprises there as the jury does criticise him for his vocals there. He claims he just couldn’t focus the second time around. If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. He couldn’t stand the heat, so he should get out. He apologises to the viewers. Rightfully so.

February 27, 20168:13 pm

André Vásáry is our last act tonight

February 27, 20168:15 pm

André Vásáry – Why

I’ve often wondered why this qualified for the final. I still don’t like it, but I sort of get why it made it through. It stands out, his high voice near the end makes you remember him. I don’t like it.

February 27, 20168:16 pm

The jury will now vote. All four will get points to give: 10 to their favourite, 8 to number 2, 6 to number 3 and 4 to their number 4. The top 4 will proceed to the 100% televoting superfinal. In this first vote, the televoters have no say.

February 27, 20168:20 pm

The following 4 have made the superfinal:

Freddie
Gergő Oláh
Kállay Saunders Band
Petruska

February 27, 20168:34 pm

Boggie is our first interval, with her new (French!) single: Camouflage.

February 27, 20168:37 pm

So you can vote via the app tonight. It’s available worldwide and you can cast 1 vote. I’ve voted for Freddie.

February 27, 20168:43 pm

We had Loreen and Måns playing in the background at the start, our interval is another winner. He’s actually here though: Alexander Rybak.

February 27, 20168:48 pm

Another recap now. 12 more minutes scheduled. Results soon?

February 27, 20168:51 pm

Voting is now closed in Hungary. Results!

February 27, 20168:52 pm

FREDDIE has won A Dal 2016.

February 27, 20169:17 pm

Thank you for following us tonight! Norway is still going, so make sure to tune in there! 🙂

Media Liaison: One of the founding members at escXtra. I'm the Dutchman who loves every little idiotic Eurovision fact there is. I usually listen to a lot of Eurovision music, but when I'm not, I listen to country music, schlager and pop, but mostly artists like Tina Turner, Emma, Ilse DeLange and Helene Fischer. On escXtra, you can find me doing pretty much anything that needs doing: Interviews, liveblogs or just your daily portion of news!

Load More Related Articles