Today, the Portuguese broadcaster RTP announced in a press conference that the preparations for ‘Festival da Canção’ are underway as the competition starts in two weeks. In this year’s edition, the broadcaster promises to innovate and surprise the Portuguese audience.
‘Festival da Canção’ 2017 will consist of two semifinals, a grand final, and 16 competing artists. The semifinals will be held on the 19th and 26th of February when 8 artists will compete in each show for a spot in the final. The four most voted entries of each semifinal will make it to the Grand Final of this year’s ‘Festival da Canção’, to be held on March 5th at the Coliseum of Lisbon. The winner will be determined by a mixed system of televote and regional jury.
Semifinal 1 – February 19th
- Márcia – ‘Agora’
- Golden Slumbers – ‘Para Perto’
- Fernando Daniel – ‘Poema A Dois’
- Deolinda Kinzimba – ‘O Que Vi Nos Meus Sonhos’
- Rui Drumond – ‘O Teu Melhor’
- Lisa Garden – ‘Without You’
- Salvador Sobral – ‘Amar Pelos Dois’
- Viva La Diva – ‘Nova Glória’
Semifinal 2 – February 26th
- David Gomes – ‘My Paradise’
- Lena D’agua – ‘Nunca Me Fui Embora’
- Beatriz Felício – ‘Ao Teu Olhar’
- Pedro Gonçalves – ‘Don’t Walk Away’
- Helena Kendall – ‘Andamos No Céu’
- Celina Da Piedade – ‘Primavera’
- Jorge Benvinda – ‘Gente Bestial’
- Inês Sousa – TBA
RTP’s sub-director, Gonçalo Madail, made clear that the broadcaster intends to maintain this renewed format in the years to come. The sub-director also announced that the jury will be chaired by Júlio Isidro, who will be joined by Ramom Galarza, Tozé Brito, Gabriela Schaaf, Dora, Nuno Markl, Inês Lopes Goncalves, João Calisto and Inês Menezes.
Sónia Araújo and José Carlos Malato will be in charge of hosting the first semifinal of ‘Festival da Canção’ on February 19th, whilst on February 26th, Tãnia Ribas de Oliveira and Jorge Gabriel will take over the second semifinal. The Grand Final, which will take place at the Coliseum of Lisbon and will determine who will represent Portugal in Kyiv, will be hosted by Sílvia Alberto and Catarina Furtado.
You can re-watch the press conference HERE.
Comments on Portugal: ‘Festival da Canção’ details announced