RTP have revealed that they made a tiny mistake during last night’s Festival da Canção semi-final. Beatriz Pessoa received seven televoting points on the night, but should have received… none at all. Instead of her, Rui David now qualifies.
Rui David the lucky loser
During last night’s show, Beatriz Pessoa received four points from the jury. Those were then followed by seven jury points, giving her and the song “Eu Te Amon” a total of eleven and a comfortable place in the final.
However, it now turns out the seven televoting points should not have ended up with Beatriz at all. Instead, she was supposed to receive zero. The seven points should have gone to Maria Amaral with “A Mesma Canção”, who in return received zero from the jury.
As a result, Rui David qualifies for the grand final with “Sem Medo”. He scored two jury points and five from televoters, meaning he wins the tie against José Cid (one from jury, six from televoting) and Maria Amaral (nothing from jury, seven from televoting). RTP announced that in case of a tie, the higher jury score wins.
RTP have corrected their mistake, meaning the scoreboard now looks like this. We’ve put the three that have been affected by the mistake in Italics, with the qualifiers in bold:
- Peu Madureira – Só Por Ela: 22 points
- Janeiro – (sem titulo): 16 points
- Catarina Miranda – Para Sorrir Eu Não Preciso De Nada: 16 points
- Anabela – Pra Te Dar Abrigo: 13 points
- Joana Barra Vaz – Anda Estragar-Me Os Planos: 8 points
- Joana Espadinha – Zero A Zero: 7 points
- Rui David – Sem Medo: 7 points
- José Cid – O Som Da Guitarra É A Alma De Um Povo: 7 points
- Maria Amaral – A Mesma Canção: 7 points
- JP Simoes – Alvoroço: 6 points
- Beatriz Pessoa – Eu Te Amo: 4 points
- Rita Dias – Com Gosto Amigo: 3 points
- Bruno Vasconcelos – Austrália: 0 points
Still fourteen finalists
Sadly for Beatriz Pessoa, RTP have said that she will no longer be part of the final. That final will take place in two weeks, on 4th March. Next Sunday, another thirteen acts will take the stage in Portugal. The Portuguese broadcaster published the snippets of those online today.
What do you think of RTP’s decision? Are you happy to see Rui David in the final? Let us know!