Kristian Kostov, the Bulgarian runner-up at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 will participate in Singer 2019, the latest series of the Chinese reality talent competition. He announced his participation on his Instagram account.
International contestants have competed before with success
The competition, whilst based in China for a local audience, does have a history of inviting prominent international pop stars. The runner-up in 2016 was the Kazakh participant Dimash Kudaibergen whilst British pop star Jessie J won the competition in 2018 and had viral success with some of her performances.
Jessie J herself called the competition “an amazing learning experience” as well as “really magical” as she won the show in front of a viewing audience of 1 billion with 48% of the vote in the final.
Kostov has experience in China
Hunan Television have confirmed that the line-up for the qualification rounds will be:
- Liu Huan – Singer of Beijing Olympics 2008; Former Panel Judge of “The Voice of China”
- Yang Kun – Former Panel Judge of “The Voice of China”
- Chyi Yu – Legendary Singer-Songwriter from Taiwan
- Escape Plan – One of The Most Influential Chinese Indie Rock Bands in the 2000s
- Wu Tsing-Fong – Lead Vocalist of One of The Taiwan’s Hottest Indie Bands – “Sodagreen“
- Zhang Xin – Runner-Up of CCTV’s National Talent Show in 2007
- Kristian Kostov – Runner-Up of Eurovision Song Contest 2017
In addition to these 7 names, each week the competitors will be joined by a wild-card challenger who will compete to remain in the competition alongside these original 7 acts. Each round will see three stages of the competition: Qualifying, Knockout and Challenge. In last year’s series, four acts remained for the two-round final. There has been no confirmation on the format for the 2019 series yet.
Kostov has previously performed “You Got Me Girl” in China as a special guest act at the Miss World Final in 2017
“Beautiful Mess” received 615 points at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 with Kristian Kostov giving Bulgaria their best result in its history in the competition.
According to MIXOLOq, Singer 2019 will begin on 11 Jan 2019 at 22:00 CST.
Will you be watching Singer 2019? How do you think Kristian Kostov will do in the competition? Let us know on social media @ESCXTRA!