In order to choose the 24 semi-finalists for Selectia Nationala 2019, an 11-piece jury of Romanian music industry professionals ranked each submission. The scores of this have since been revealed which crowned eventual runner-up Laura Bretan as the pre-selection jury favourite. Winner Ester Peony only placed 10th with the Romanian music professionals.
Laura and Bella out in front
The 11 jurors ranked all submissions, plus 9 further entries submitted when a wildcard space opened up courtesy of Dan Bittman’s withdrawal. You can see the full results of this below, made known to us courtesy of escforum.net.
A green highlighting indicates the winner of the contest, yellow highlights a late wildcard entry and red indicates a withdrawn entry.
It is of course worth noting that these rankings were decided based on studio recordings submitted in late 2018. In the show itself, Laura Bretan won the televoting in a landslide but was overruled by the international jury’s preference of Ester Peony.
11 Romanian music professionals
A reminder of the 11 Romanian music professionals can be find below courtesy of a reliably sourced Wikipedia editor:
- George Balint – Realitatea Muzicală music journalist
- Felix Crainicu – Radio România Actualități host
- Horea Ghibuţiu – unsitedemuzica.ro music journalist
- Bogdan Miu – DigiFM music journalist and host
- Bogdan Pavlică – Radio România host
- Răzvan Popescu – Radio ZU host
- Andreea Remeţan – Virgin Radio Romania host
- Gabriel Scîrlet – TVR musical director
- Oliver Simionescu – Kiss FM disc jockey
- Liana Stanciu – TVR music journalist
- Dragoş Vulgaris – Pro FM and Chill FM music journalist
In the end, Ester Peony failed to qualify for the final in Tel Aviv, Romania’s second consecutive non-qualification. Do you think Laura could have achieved a higher placing?