As 2020 marks 60 years since Norway’s debut in Eurovision, there’s no other way to celebrate that than…well, creating your biggest and fanciest national selection possible! With that, NRK will shortlist exactly 40 songs for next year’s Melodi Grand Prix.
Bigger (and better?)
Ditching the 10 song final format that they normally go with, Norway has decided to go all out next year. 40 songs will compete from various regions of the country. MGP 2020 consists of 5 shows, 8 songs in each, where only 2 will qualify to the final. The final will see the top 10 songs compete to represent Norway next year.
The schedule is as follows:
- Show #1: 8 songs by artists from Northern Norway, 2 qualify
- Show #2: 8 songs by artists from Central Norway, 2 qualify
- Show #3: 8 songs by artists from Western Norway, 2 qualify
- Show #4: 8 songs by artists from Eastern Norway, 2 qualify
- Show #5: 8 songs by artists from Southern Norway, 2 qualify
- Grand Final: 10 songs from all regions of Norway compete to win
All shows with take place in Oslo. However, no dates have been confirmed yet.
Norway in Eurovision 2019
KEiiNO represented Norway at the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest in Israel. Their participation was a success overall, winning the televote and finishing 6th in the Grand Final.
Are you excited to see Norway produce a much bigger show than before? Which Norwegian artists would you like to see compete? Let us know in the comments below!