As the tennis season draws to its close with the Davis Cup Finals, thoughts quickly turn to the 2020 season. Starting Down Under, the Australian Open has announced its packed fortnight of entertainment to keep the tennis tourists busy. Many of Australia’s finest will be taking to the AO Live Stage, including Eurovision stars Kate Miller-Heidke and Jessica Mauboy.
A Eurovision takeover for the AO Live Stage
Always the coolest of the four slams, despite the hottest temperatures. The Australian Open is bringing back Australia’s biggest music festival to the AO Live Stage. Throughout the tournament guests will be treated to entertainment both on and off court. Along with your Ash Barty’s and Rafa Nadal’s, fans can expect to see the biggest music stars from home and abroad too. The likes of The Veronicas, Billy Idol and Broods will be wowing the crowds. As well as several Eurovision acts over the 15 day party of music and tennis!
First up is Jessica Mauboy, who is enjoying the critical success of her latest album Hilda. Last month it became her third album and first album of original songs to top the ARIA charts. Next week Jess will be hoping that translates into ARIA Awards success. As she is nominated for two awards – Best Female Artist and Best Video for ‘Little Things’. For the Australian Open, Jess will be the headline act for the first ever ‘Girls Day Out’ concert to kick off the festivities on Sunday 19th January.
Also performing to send the Australian Open into ‘Zero Gravity’ is Kate Miller-Heidke. In recent weeks Kate has added to her busy summer schedule. She has been revealed as one of the acts for ABC’s NYE bash at the Sydney Opera House. In February Kate will join Conchita Wurst in a celebration of diversity and arts at the 2020 Sydney Mardi Gras and will also be attending WOMADelaide next March. But first tennis fans can take a breather and enjoy the vocal arts of Kate on Monday 27th January.
AO Live Stage full line up:
- AO GIRLS DAY OUT: Sunday 19th January – Jessica Mauboy with special guests Montaigne and Lily Papas.
- THE AO LIVE STAGE: Monday 20th Jan – Cub Sport with special guest: Hatchie.
- Tuesday 21st January – TBA.
- Wednesday 22nd January – Lime Cordiale with special guest: Ruby Fields.
- Thursday 23rd January – The Veronicas with specials guests: Japanese Wallpaper, Kian.
- Friday 24th January – Grinspoon with special guests: Eskimo Joe
- Saturday 25 January – Hot Dub Time Machine with special guest: Example (UK) (18+ only).
- Sunday 26th January – TBA.
- Monday 27th January – Kate Miller-Heidke with special guests: Seeker Lover Keeper.
- Tuesday 28th January – Broods (NZ) with special guest: George Alice.
- Wednesday 29th January – Billy Idol (UK) with special guests: The Delta Riggs.
- Thursday 30th January – Matt Corby with special guest: Charlie Collins.
- Friday 31st January – Hayden James with special guests: Running Touch.
- Saturday 1st February – Bastille (UK) with special guest: Max Frost (USA).
- Sunday 2nd February – Ziggy Alberts with special guest: Fergus James.
All shows are accessible with a grounds pass ticket. These start from $45 and are available online here.
Are you looking forward to the Australian Open 2020? Will you be attending? Let us know in the comments and on social media @ESCXTRA