Today the Swedish broadcaster SVT announced the 28 artists and songs for Melodifestivalen 2020. The winner of the contest will represent Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest 2020.
This year the Melodifestivalen tour will start from Linköping on 1st of February. The other semifinals will take place in Gothenburg, Luleå and Malmö. The andra chansen round will be hosted by Eskilstuna and the final will take place in Stockholm on March 7.
The hosts for Melodifestivalen 2020 are Lina Hedlund, David Sundin and Linnea Henriksson. Lina has previously taken part in Melodifestivalen six times, both as a solo artist and as part of the band Alcazar. In 2019 she competed with the song “Victorious” and finished 11th in the final.
2 545 songs were entered to the 2020 Melodifestivalen, an increase by 250 from the year before. 12 of the 28 songs will be sung in Swedish.
We are updating the article as the artists get announced in a press conference.
Deltävling 1: Linköping
- Malou Prytz – “Ballerina”
- Felix Sandman – “Boys with Emotions”
- OVÖ – “Inga problem”
- The Mamas – “Move”
- Suzi P – “Moves”
- Sonja Aldén – “Sluta aldrig gå”
- Robin Bengtsson – “Take a Chance”
The artists in the first semifinal include last year’s finalist Malou Prytz, Melodifestivalen 2018 silver medalist Felix Sandman and The Mamas, who won Melodifestivalen 2019 as the backing vocalists for John Lundvik. Also returning is Robin Bengtsson, who won Melodifestivalen 2017, represented Sweden in Kyiv and finished fifth in the final.
Deltävling 2: Gothenburg
- Linda Bengtzing – “Alla mina sorger”
- Dotter – “Bulletproof”
- Anna Bergendahl – “Kingdom Come”
- Thorsten Flinck – “Miraklernas tid”
- Klara Hammarström – “Nobody”
- Paul Rey – “Talking in My Sleep”
- Mendez feat. Alvaro Estrella – “Vamos amigos”
The artists in the second semifinal include Melodifestivalen veteran Linda Bengtzing and returning artists Dotter, Thorsten Flinck, Mendez and Alvaro Estrella. Also returning is Anna Bergendahl, who won Melodifestivalen 2010 but failed to reach the final in Eurovision. In 2019 she returned to the contest and made it to the Melodifestivalen final with the song “Ashes to Ashes”.
Deltävling 3: Luleå
- Faith Kakembo – “Crying Rivers”
- Amanda Aasa – “Late”
- Albin Johnsen – “Livet börjar nu”
- Drängarna – “Piga och dräng”
- Mariette – “Shout it Out”
- Anis Don Demina – “Vem är som oss”
- Mohombi – “Winners”
In the third semifinal the artists include three-time Melodifestivalen finalist Mariette, 2019 finalist Mohombi and returning artists Albin Johnsen and Anis Don Demina.
Deltävling 4: Malmö
- Hanna Ferm – “Brave”
- Nanne Grönvall – “Carpool Karaoke”
- William Stridh – “Molnljus”
- Jakob Karlberg – “Om du tror att jag saknar dig”
- Ellen Benediktson & Simon Peyron – “Surface”
- Victor Crone – “Troubled Waters”
- Frida Öhrn – “We Are One”
The fourth semifinal sees the return of Nanne Grönvall, who won Melodifestivalen in 1996 in a group One More Time. Also returning is former Melodifestivalen finalist Ellen Benediktson. Simon Peyron, who previously took part in Melodifestivalen as a singer for the group Outtrigger. Victor Crone represented Estonia in Eurovision 2019 and is now returning to his home country Sweden. Frida Öhrn has also taken part in Melodifestivalen before as part of the groups LaRoxx and Cookies ‘N’ Beans.
Who are you most excited for in Melodifestivalen 2020? Let us know below or on social media @ESCXTRA!