Latvian broadcaster, LTV, has revealed, that a total of 28 songs are one step closer to compete in the upcoming edition of Supernova. A total of 126 songs were submitted for the Latvian national final next year. Meanwhile, 28 songs made it through to the next round after being judged by a jury of experts. The final of Supernova 2020 will take place on February 8.
28 songs closer to victory
So, after a total of 126 songs were sent in for the Latvian national final next year, a jury cut them down to 28 songs remaining in the race to represent Latvia in the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest in Rotterdam. As a result, they are one step closer to represent Latvia in Eurovision 2020!
The jury was formed of:
- Agnese Cimuška – Latvian Music Development Society
- Aiga Leitholde – Music Reviewer
- Liena Grīna – Latvian Association of Performers and Producters
- Sabīne Brice – Universal Music Latvia
- Ilze Jansone – Supernova Producer
- Inese Saulāja – Warner Music Latvia
- Kaspars Zaviļeiskis – Music Journalist
- Jānis Žilde – Musician and TVnet Kultura+ Presenter
- Kaspars Mauriņš – Latvijas Radio 2
- Rūdolfs Švēde – Radio Tev
- Emīls Kazakovs – Kurzemes Radio
- Toms Grēviņš – Piecei.lv
- Artis Dvarionas – Radio SWH
- Aleksis Vilciņš – Pieci.lv
- Edgars Bāliņš – Wiwibloggs
- Petri Mannonen – Universal Music Finland and the Baltics
- Martti Vuorinen – Universal Music A&R
- Pēteris Krievkalns – Creative Director for Supernova
The jury of Latvian music industry experts only listened to the songs without knowing what artist is behind them. During this week the number of potential songs will be cut further down. It is not yet certain how many songs will actually compete in Supernova 2020. However, this year a total of 16 songs split into two semi-finals took part. Furthermore, LTV also still has to reveal how Supernova 2020 will look like and if there will be semi-finals again.
Fans will be able to listen to the songs in January according to LTV.
Who do you hope to see in Supernova 2020? Let us know in the comments below or on social media @ESCXTRA!
This year Latvia was represented by Carousel and their song “That Night”. They finished 15th in the semi-final in Tel Aviv with a total of 50 points.