Over the past several weeks UA:PBC the public broadcaster of Ukraine have started to reveal their acts in contention for Ukraine Junior Eurovision 2020 selection. Now they have revealed the complete line-up of the eleven artists taking part in the online National Final, ahead of November’s contest in Warsaw.
UA:PBC confirm 11 artists for UA JESC 2020
Overall UA:PBC received submissions from 105 enthusiastic children, including solo singers and bands. Of these 70 were deemed to be eligible. Now the jury have managed to whittle down the selection to just eleven for the online National Final. Those entrants and their submissions are:
Participants with an original song:
- Polina Babiy – ‘SuperBit‘
- Oleksandr Balabanov – ‘Відкривай‘
- Yuliya Karimi – ‘People‘
- Anzhelia Makfarleyn (Rrealina) – ‘My Spirit‘
- Yaroslav Politov (Yar Politov) – ‘Я б туди’/’Good Always Wins‘
- Anhelina Terennikova – ‘The Vibe‘
- Olena Usenko (Ellen) – ‘Never Get Free‘
- Sofiya Shkidchenko – ‘OK‘
Participants with a cover song:
The participant who received the most likes from the public:
- Daniyela Shapochnikova – ‘Твоє майбутнє‘
How will Ukraine decide?
- From 28 August to 4 September UA:PBC will reveal the artists and the final version of their potential Junior Eurovision entries. Artists that submitted covers will record new songs. Although original song artists may also take up this option too. As well being able to revamp their submissions.
- However the songs must be mostly in Ukrainian, with up to 40% allowed to be in another language.
- Between 5-7 September voting will open to decide the winner from the 11 entries. This will consist of the combined results from the jury – 5 music experts and 3 online voters and a public online vote on the website.
- By no later than 12 September the winner and act going on to represent Ukraine in Warsaw will be decided. They will have 5 days following victory to confirm their intentions to represent Ukraine in Junior Eurovision.
Junior Eurovision 2020 – what we know so far
Junior Eurovision 2020 will take place on November 29 in the Polish capital of Warsaw. The slogan for the show is ‘Move The World’. Following Viki Gabor’s victory on home soil in 2019, this will mark TVP’s second consecutive time hosting.
Note, unlike previous years, the show is due to be held in a TV studio, rather than an arena. The host venue is yet to be confirmed. However, both the ATM Studio or Transcolor Studio are in contention. Although in recent days doubt has been cast on the contest. With TVP’s alternative plan for their potential host participant should the contest be called off.
To date, the following countries have confirmed participation in the contest:
Ukraine in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest
Back in 2006, Ukraine made their Junior Eurovision debut, finishing 9th with Nazar Slyusarchuk’s ‘Khlopchyk Rock ‘n’ Roll’. They have participated in every contest since then, and are one of the best-performing countries overall. This year will mark their 15th participation in the contest.
They won the 2012 contest with ‘Nebo’ by Anastasiya Petryk, whose sister Viktoria had come second at the 2008 contest. Although the winner of the junior contest doesn’t automatically host the following year, Ukraine hosted the 2009 edition. In fact, they have hosted the contest in Kiev’s Palace of Sports on two occasions now, in 2009 and then in 2013. This made them only the second country at the time to host the Junior contest twice (after the Netherlands). Of course Poland now boasts back to back wins in 2018 and 2019 to make this three.
Last year UA:PBC selected Sophia Ivanko to represent Ukraine in Gliwice-Silesia with the entry, ‘The Spirit of Music’. During the contest she finished a respectable 15th place with 59 points.
Who should Ukraine select for Junior Eurovision 2020? Let us know! Stay up to date by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! As well as subscribing to our YouTube channel. Where you can watch our reactions to the news in the upcoming months. You can also follow our Spotify for more music from your favourite acts!