Vienna 2015

For all the news about the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest taking place in the Austrian capital city of Vienna.

Song submission begins for Melodifestivalen 2015

Song submission begins for Melodifestivalen 2015

This morning, SVT announced that they are beginning the process of accepting songs into Melodifestivalen 2015. Christer Björkman, executive producer of the show said, As usual, we call for songs in different languages, in different genres and in different styles. Diversity and variety is an important part of Melodifestivalen” Both professional and amateur songwriters are permitted to submit songs. Songs must be submitted between September 1 and September 16, by uploading them to the SVT Melodifestivalen website. Additionally, again this year, SVT are looking for more female songwriters. As in previous years, an SVT jury will select the songs which will take part in the contest. Included in the list of entries will be the winner of Svensktoppen nästa as well as the winner of the amateur songwriter submissions. The dates and venues for the competition are, as of yet, unknown. Full rules are available in English here.
Three cities officially bid to host Eurovision 2015

Three cities officially bid to host Eurovision 2015

Over the last few weeks speculation as to which city in Austria would play host to the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest has been rampant, but Austrian broadcaster ORF has finally announced that three cities have been short-listed as potential hosts of next year’s contest. These cities and their proposed arenas are: Vienna – Wiener Stadthalle Graz – Stadthalle Graz Innsbruck – OlympiaWorld Vienna has already hosted the 1967 Eurovision Song Contest while Innsbruck is no stranger to massive international events having hosted the 1964 and 1976 winter Olympic games. It had previously been stated that the host city decision would be reached by the end of European summer, but the announcement of the short-list provided no further information whether this deadline would be adhered to or not.
Record companies threaten boycott of MGP over EBU contract with Universal

Record companies threaten boycott of MGP over EBU contract with Universal

Sony Music, Warner Music and daWorks have taken the bold step of declaring a potential boycott of the Norwegian national final, Melodi Grand Prix next year over a new ruling by the European Broadcasting Union. Together with its record company partner Universal Music, the EBU required for the first time this year that all songs competing in the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 be released as part of the official album, but also as single tracks to download. This has caused a storm with some local record companies who will miss out on income derived from the single where the single has been downloaded as part of the official album release. Leif O. Ribe from Sony Music told Norway’s VG that they were effectively forced to sign an agreement to permit the release of the single in this way after Carl Espen had won Melodi Grand Prix 2014 with Silent Storm, stating that “the alternative was that [he] couldn’t represent Norway in Eurovision, something we could not allow.”, declaring that the proposal was something that was not revealed to them before the contest. He goes on to note that the release of songs in this manner damages the ability of record companies to promote Eurovision …
Back to top button