Tonight Poland will decide upon it’s entrant for Stockholm. Nine acts are in contention to represent the country in the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest. After a series of internal selections, Polish broadcaster TVP is resuming it’s national final better known as Krajowe Eliminacje.

Tonight’s show will be opened by last year’s representative, Monika Kuszyńska. The show will be hosted by Polish Eurovision comentator Artur Orzech. The public will decide who should go to Eurovision and Monika will announce the result.

The line-up for tonight:

• Natalia SzroederLustra
  • Edyta GórniakGrateful
  • Taraka In the Rain
  • Aleksandra GintrowskaMissing
  • Michał SzpakColor of Your Life
  • MargaretCool Me Down
  • Kasia MośAddiction
  • Dorota OsińskaUniversal
  • NapoliMy Universe

The show starts at 21:25 CET and will be broadcasted on TVP. It can be followed on webcast by clicking here or via satellite on TVP (Hot Bird 13C)

March 5, 20168:27 pm

Welcome for this live report…Poland’s national final returns with a bang!

March 5, 20168:27 pm

Last year’s hopeful Monika Kuszyńska sings her Eurovision entry in Polish. Actually it’s sounds better in her native language.

March 5, 20168:29 pm

The background used for Monika’s introduction is actually the same as the one used in Vienna

March 5, 20168:31 pm

Artur Orzech, the host of the show, announcing some Eurovision classic entries and yes they included Israel’s entry by Ping Pong in 2000!

March 5, 20168:35 pm

And off we start with the first song

Nick van Lith
March 5, 20168:38 pm

Good evening everyone! With Sweden and Estonia finished, it’s time to look to Poland.

March 5, 20168:40 pm

1. Taraka – In the Rain

A very lame start by Taraka. A very slow rock anthem song with nothing interesting going on stage. The only thing which caught my eye was the ponytail of the lead singer on a baldhead.

March 5, 20168:40 pm

Taraka singing In the Rain

Nick van Lith
March 5, 20168:41 pm

Taraka – In The Rain

A male, over 40 year old version of Elaiza here. It’s slow, folky and wants to go in the direction of rock, but it doesn’t quite get there. The on-screen picture is odd and I can’t see this getting anywhere.

March 5, 20168:41 pm

We welcome Nick, he’s joining us on this live blog. Now off for song number 2. We hope it’s much better than the previous one.

March 5, 20168:42 pm

Hello and good evening! I’ve missed the first song tidying up the end of Andra chansen in Sweden but I’m also here to blog along with the show!

March 5, 20168:44 pm

2. Napoli – “My Universe”

A small sense of déjá vû here… I’m sure we already saw this in a different national final this year… Belarus to be exact! It still doesn’t impress me and I can’t see this going anywhere on the scoreboard tonight.

March 5, 20168:45 pm

2. Napoli – My Universe

Second song is much better. A pleasant moving ballad and I really love the background used for this act. The vocals are good and the lead singer connects well with the steadicam. For some reason this song reminds me of the Ukrainian entry in 2013 by Zlata Ognevich.

March 5, 20168:46 pm

Napoli singing My Universe

March 5, 20168:47 pm

Nathan is our third guy joining us after Melfest.

March 5, 20168:50 pm

3. Natalia Szroeder – “Lustra”
A nice song that goes from mid-tempo to uptempo before the first chorus and knows how to vary its pace nicely between sections of the song. I’m not entirely sure what on earth is going on though visually while she sings. Fairly decent vocal, not a terrible song. Middle of the road.

March 5, 20168:51 pm

3. Natalia Szroeder – Lustra

Natalia is a Polish beauty clad in a white simple dress. The song starts in a very low key manner but soon increases it’s tempo, however I can’t see this one going too far. There is a male dancer wearing a mask. The strong backing vocals are also doing a great job.

March 5, 20168:52 pm

Natalia Szroeder singing Lustra

March 5, 20168:52 pm

Between each song we’re hearing parts of already selected Eurovision entries. Before Natalia’s song we heard the Belgian song and now we’re Saying Yay with Barei from Spain.

March 5, 20168:57 pm

4. Dorota Osińska – Universal
I like this song in general, but I don’t like how her vocal is coming across tonight as mildly screechy. It’s lyrically nice though!!

March 5, 20168:58 pm

4. Dorota Osińska – Universal

A very dated song by Dorota. Though it’s received a warm applause I can’t see this one going for Eurovision in 2016. May be in the early 90’s this was a contender but not today. The vocals need some polish too. And yes she sang with a wired microphone with a red dress. This was not Anne-Marie David in 1973 but Dorota in 2016!

March 5, 20168:59 pm

Dorota Osińska singing Universal

March 5, 20169:02 pm

5. Kasia Moś – “Addiction”
I quite like both the musical arrangement and the vocal tone that accompanies the lyrics here. Again, I’m not too sure on the visuals or the staging of this one but it’s far less distracting than all those that have gone by so far. I have to ask though… what is she wearing?!

March 5, 20169:04 pm

5. Kasia Moś – Addiction

The song is kind of interesting with a strong musical arrangement. The violin part makes it stronger but still lacks the oomph factor for Eurovision!

March 5, 20169:05 pm

Kasia Moś singing Addiction

March 5, 20169:07 pm

6. Aleksandra Gintrowska – Missing
This is the most middle of the road average pop song I’ve ever hard and it comes with terrible, terrible vocals.

Clearly we’re waiting for the big hitters tonight…

March 5, 20169:08 pm

6. Aleksandra Gintrowska – Missing

How on earth this song made it that far. Yes she is a beauty but the girl can’t sing. She needed four distracting dancers with a well rehearsed choreography for this average song.

March 5, 20169:08 pm

Aleksandra Gintrowska singing Missing

March 5, 20169:09 pm

Edward, I don’t know about you but I’m starting to think that these girls were only picked for their looks… rather than their ability to sing?!

March 5, 20169:12 pm

7. Michał Szpak – “Colour of Your Life” (I will not accept that Americanised spelling, Michał!)
Oh look, someone who can sing!! Shame the song is so so average and so bland. Why on earth did half these songs make it to the show? Was this all Poland had to offer? What happened to the rumour that Cleo was returning? 🙁

March 5, 20169:13 pm

7. Michał Szpak – Color of Your Life

Another old fashioned repetitive ballad. At least Michal can sing though I don’t like his English diction. It seems TVP left the two hot favourites for the last two spots in the line-up!

March 5, 20169:14 pm

Michał Szpak singing Color of Your Life

March 5, 20169:18 pm

8. Margaret – “Cool Me Down”
The crowd is going crazy before this even begins. Is this the winner?! With a “song by committee” including last year’s winning Eurovision songwriter Linnea Deb, “Cool Me Down” sounds like Rihanna in 2012. The backing singers here are really a great addition for the chorus, Margaret burns through this with an essence of Rihanna herself. For me, this is the winner. We should stop the show now and proclaim Margaret as Queen of Europe.

March 5, 20169:19 pm

8. Margaret – Cool Me Down

The hot favourite not only to win tonight but also to win Eurovision but Margaret sounded very nervous. Last week doubts about her vocal capabilities were discussed and it seems these will increase. The song is very good however if it goes to Stockholm it needs strong backing vocals and a stage coach for Margaret. A punchy staging can lift this song!

March 5, 20169:20 pm

Margaret singing Cool Me Down

March 5, 20169:24 pm

9. Edyta Górniak – Grateful

Edyta is trying her luck again in Eurovision with this touching ballad. She is the best voice in this competition and her simple staging is still strong. It’s a good song which can achieve final qualification for Poland!

March 5, 20169:25 pm

9. Edyta Górniak – “Grateful”
The former runner-up for Poland presents a composed vocal, that we’re all aware that she has, but the song goes absolutely nowhere whatsoever apart from the fact that she hits notes so high at the end that only a dog can hear.

March 5, 20169:25 pm

Edyta Górniak singing Grateful

March 5, 20169:31 pm

We’ve got an interval act now… but I went for another beer so I didn’t hear who’s singing! Oops…

March 5, 20169:41 pm

March 5, 20169:47 pm

We head towards some form of results!

March 5, 20169:48 pm

Monika Kuszyńska is on stage and now has the envelope containing the all important information.

March 5, 20169:49 pm

And… the winner of the Polish ticket to Stockholm is…

March 5, 20169:50 pm

GOODNESS ME, ITS NOT EITHER OF THE FAVOURITES!

March 5, 20169:51 pm

Michał Szpak and his song “Color of Your Life” is the winner…!

March 5, 20169:52 pm

We will now see a recap of his song, he hugs every one of the other participants and gives an emotional thank you to the crowd.

March 5, 20169:55 pm

As Michał gives us his song again, I’d like to take this opportunity to say goodbye from myself, my wonderful colleague Edward who guided us through the show and also to our Nick who was on our Twitter account @escXtra tonight for us!

March 5, 20169:55 pm