Good evening everyone! We’re about to embark on a very busy Eurovision weekend, but before the chaos of tomorrow night, we’ve got one country choosing their song for Stockholm tonight. Nice and simple, just ten artists, ten songs, one winner.

The top two will be chosen by a combination of a jury and televoting, and then it will be a head to head battle for the Austrian Eurovision ticket, with the public alone deciding the winner.

The ten songs in contention tonight are:

• AzRaH – The One
  • Bella Wagner – Weapons Down
  • Elly V – I’ll Be Around (Bounce)
  • Céline Roscheck & Farina Miss – Sky Is The Limit
  • Lia – Runaway
  • LiZZA – Psycho
  • Orry Jackson – Pieces In A Puzzle
  • Sankil Jones – One More Sound
  • Vincent Bueno – All We Need Is That Love
  • ZOË – Loin d’ici

You can tune into the show on eurovision.tv tonight at 20:15 CET, which features Conchita Wurst not only as a judge, but as guest performer.

Meanwhile don’t be shy, we want to hear your thoughts via our Twitter, so follow us @escXtra, and we’ll be here throughout the show giving our opinions on proceedings as they happen in the live blog below. And if you’re waiting for the show to begin, you can read our reviews of the songs in contention tonight right here.

Enjoy the show everyone!

February 12, 20167:12 pm

Good evening! Welcome to our live blog for Wer singt für Österreich?. We’re about to kick off a weekend of selections as 4 countries choose for Stockholm beginning with Austria tonight.

February 12, 20167:16 pm

Herzlich willkommen everyone! Austria, one of my favourites, so I’m looking forward to this. We’re a good group tonight, so hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we!

February 12, 20167:17 pm

The show has begun! We’re being shown a montage of Eurovision history

February 12, 20167:17 pm

Good evening from me as well, someone who just decided to pass his Friday night with the Austrian selection. I’ve only heard one of the songs here tonight, so I’ll be as honest as I can with my first listen for the most part.

February 12, 20167:19 pm

The theme music and titles from Eurovision 2015 are being recycled for tonight’s show

February 12, 20167:22 pm

We’re now being introduced to the Jury members.

February 12, 20167:23 pm

So you can tweet tonight, using the hashtag wsfo. Alice does ask us to keep it decent and polite on Twitter, as they’ll be reading some tweets out loud. Andi has already tweeted that there are 3 people on stage: Alice is pregnant.

February 12, 20167:29 pm

01. Vincent Bueno – All We Need Is That Love.

Vincent enters the stage on skates which is a nice touch but then goes a bit overboard with the dodgy dance moves. The song meanwhile is ok, just not strong enough to be memorable.

February 12, 20167:30 pm

All We Need Is That Love

The song in itself is a mediocre pop attempt by someone who has a bit of Eric Saade over him. After two minutes he starts to rap, which is the end of the song for me. I’m not overly impressed, I have to say.

February 12, 20167:34 pm

Jury comments: Conchita thinks it was more choreography than song, Madita thinks he’s good, but the song isn’t good enough. Julie is quite positive though.

Christian is here as a representative of the press vote. He enjoyed the three minutes, but wondered where the song went in the last bit.

February 12, 20167:34 pm

Vincent gets 25 points from the jury.

February 12, 20167:35 pm

So how does this work? The four jury members all give the song a score 1-10 and we’ll see the combined score at the end.

February 12, 20167:37 pm

I believe I’ve only managed to miss one song there when I went to do the washing up after my dinner, it seems that I didn’t miss much. Bring on the remaining nine!

February 12, 20167:40 pm

2. LiZZA “Psycho”

I quite like this – very commercial whilst quite mysterious. I think this could actually do quite well for Austria and expect it to score highly with the judges.

February 12, 20167:40 pm

And I’m here now too! Very excited, but I might get stroppy if we get the wrong result…

February 12, 20167:41 pm

LiZZA – psYcho

The trees from Vienna are back! Only they’re dead and burnt right now. The little baby bells are a tad scary when she’s singing about being psycho. Quite a terrifying attempt, but she’s really good.

February 12, 20167:42 pm

Someone on Twitter questioned whether LiZZA was singing live, so she gave them a piece of her mind and did the chorus live. Yep she’s good.

February 12, 20167:43 pm

I have to say that that performance surprised me a bit. It was mildly static, though that’s to be expected when you have a band and I have to say that it was really a great vocal performance and I quite liked the song as well.

February 12, 20167:45 pm

OK so I appear to have just missed my 2nd favourite, Psycho. Buried 2nd in the running order 🙁

February 12, 20167:45 pm

Jury comments:

Conchita is a fan, loving LiZZA’s effort. Julie’s only word for this is ‘magical’. Christian thinks she’s incredibly talented, but he thinks LiZZA and the song don’t fit together. Madita loves the drumming girl, LiZZA is authentic, the song has a hook.

February 12, 20167:45 pm

LiZZA gets 32 points from the jury

February 12, 20167:51 pm

Song 3: Orry Jackson – Pieces In A Puzzle

I had a feeling this might be Zoë’s biggest competition and looking at the staging I think I might have been right…
Orry performs with kind of a holographic version of Måns’s effects from last year, which I hope he’s called out on. The chorus to this is very anthemic I have to admit…

February 12, 20167:51 pm

3. Orry Jackson – Pieces In A Puzzle

I really like the studio version of this, very contemporary and would appeal across the board. The performance? I’m not too keen on. Like Greta in Iceland, he’s pretty much ripped off Mans’s ‘Heroes’ performance with the whole projection thing.

February 12, 20167:51 pm

Orry Jackson – Pieces in a puzzle

Not bad. There’s some good visuals going on, a bit like Måns did last year and which is a true trend in music. It’s nicely done. His English annoys me a little when he sings ‘Pisses in a pussle’, so I hope Julie makes a comment about that.

February 12, 20167:53 pm

3. Orry Jackson – “Pieces in a Puzzle”

I’m fascinated at how they managed to do those visuals. However, that chorus is a killer and I’m very impressed, though it does massively remind me of the kind of song X Factor and Idols winners would get!

February 12, 20167:56 pm

Conchita is a bit moustache-heavy tonight…I’m not sure I like the look.

February 12, 20167:57 pm

Jury comments:

Christian thinks it’s too much like Måns and he says they’ve ‘puzzled’ together a song out of successful Eurovision styles, which doesn’t quite work. Madita agrees and says he’s going for a combination of Ellie Goulding and Michael Jackson, he’s a good performer, but he needs to find his own style.
Conchita loves the visual performance, but it did act disturbing from the song. Where Måns carried it, Orry gets blown away by it. Julie thinks he has a great voice, great performer and great song, but the lyrics don’t work for her as a hook.

February 12, 20167:57 pm

Orry gets 19 points from the jury

February 12, 20167:58 pm

Oh dear, I was wrong – the jury’s killed it stone dead!

February 12, 20167:58 pm

I was quite convinced they wouldn’t like this and in the end, he didn’t even get a 5/10 on average. See, Peter, all opportunities for ZOË 😀

February 12, 20168:02 pm

Jesus is EVERYBODY going to have shit going on in the screen behind them this year?

February 12, 20168:05 pm

04. Elly V – I’ll Be Around (Bounce)

Best song so far! great vocals from Elly, superb stage performance. Visually and vocally everything is perfect here and the song itself is memorable and very commercial.

February 12, 20168:05 pm

4. Elly V – “I’ll Be Around (Bounce)”

Well, there’s our first super finalist of the night. Great visual, great performance, great vocal ability, great song, great hook. That might be one of the best songs in the whole national final season too.

February 12, 20168:06 pm

ELLY V – I’ll Be Around (Bounce)

Massive reception in the hall and that’s no surprise. This was quite excellent, vocally impeccable and the performance works brilliantly. That might well go into the superfinal.

February 12, 20168:08 pm

37 points for ELLY

February 12, 20168:08 pm

Jury comments:

Madita wants to bow down to Elly because she was fantastic. Conchita loves ‘everything, everything, everything, everything, except the dress’.
Julie loves the dress and says Elly is her favourite for now. Christian says this song would be a secured final spot for Austria as it’d score from Ireland to Azerbaijan.

February 12, 20168:08 pm

4. Elly V

Very contemporary drum’n’bass sound, with a good hook and an effective visual (although again there will be Mans comparisons). I think this would go down very well in the Eurovision arena too.

February 12, 20168:12 pm

I just realised they’re using the same graphics as Eurovision last year on this show!

February 12, 20168:14 pm

God, Lia has stolen Polina’s song AND her dress. Pretty conventional Eurovision ballad here. Can’t see it getting very far.

February 12, 20168:14 pm

5. Lia – “Runaway”

Dull, with a cracking or breathless vocal at times. If this doesn’t score well with the juries (we’re talking 40/40) then it’s dead in the water tonight.

February 12, 20168:15 pm

Lia – Runaway

A ballad by numbers, so it’s no surprise that I love this. Her dress is very Polina and she even goes up high near the end of the song. She has a fantastic voice, but her breathing is very high, you can hear her taking a breath sometimes. I can’t see this getting anywhere, but I love it.

February 12, 20168:16 pm

I like it when the hosts greet the viewers around Europe 🙂

February 12, 20168:17 pm

So this was a Polina-like performance. The jury slaughtered Orry for copying Måns, but I somehow doubt they’ll remember Polina…

February 12, 20168:19 pm

Jury comments:

Conchita likes the song and the voice, but it would be a very safe choice, nothing too exciting. Julie agrees, she sees no edge in the song.
Christian thinks she doesn’t shine enough and he actually does remember Polina, he knows what to expect from the entire song and performance (even brings up Aliona Moon). Madita thinks it’s too ‘perfect’, there’s no edge.

February 12, 20168:19 pm

A mere 18 points for Lia.

February 12, 20168:20 pm

So, with the juries only giving that 18, she’s dead in the water for tonight’s super final.

February 12, 20168:20 pm

Currently:
1. ELLY V – 37
2. LiZZA – 32
3. Vincent Bueno – 25
4. Orry Jackson – 19
5. Lia – 18

February 12, 20168:29 pm

6. Céline Roscheck & Farina Miss – “Sky Is the Limit”

An outstandingly hideous outfit on the lead singer here, Farina Miss, and she has an equally odd smiley face drawn on her hand. Céline flew in from above with her violin, really encapsulating that the “Sky Is the Limit” here, or rather the ceiling.

The chorus is fairly catchy but repetitive. Overall, this whole performance package is not for me.

February 12, 20168:29 pm

06. Céline Roscheck & Farina Miss – Sky is the Limit

This one starts off really promising but disappoints me with its underwhelming chorus. The most impressive thing for me here is Céline’s hair. I do like the addition of a violin but the song quality just isn’t up to much.

February 12, 20168:30 pm

Wait, which one was which…? Nick?

February 12, 20168:31 pm

Céline Roscheck & Farina Miss – Sky Is The Limit

This is another excellent song for me. Céline and her violin (hi Nathan) changed her profession from Miss Austria to violin player and she fits the song well. It’s a nice picture and the song is catchy, funky, leaning towards disco. I’m loving the vocals, the performance and the total package.

February 12, 20168:33 pm

Jury comments:

Christian hates it a whole lot. Céline and Farina are disconnected and this was not for him at all. Madita likes the voice, but agrees and it doesn’t work together. Conchita doesn’t like song nor performance. Julie, as always, agrees.

February 12, 20168:33 pm

Celine & Farina – Sky Is The Limit

I really like the chord progression and the hook on this one, it’s very catchy. The singer (whichever one she is) has good stage presence although she does struggle with some of the notes at times. I never understand the need for superfluous violinists in Eurovision though…

February 12, 20168:33 pm

Celine & Farina get a mere 10 POINTS!

February 12, 20168:34 pm

WOW harsh!!!

February 12, 20168:34 pm

A shout of “OH COME ON” from Farina in the green room. Highlight of the day. Someone gif that for us?

February 12, 20168:34 pm

10. rofl. 10, that means they’ve received two 2s and two 3s or so. That’s pretty dreadful. That’s an understatement: It’s goddamn awful!

February 12, 20168:39 pm

7. AzRaH – “The One”

Well… I thought she was about 50. Turns out, according to Nick, she’s 33. Doesn’t make the song/performance any better. If this scores above 20 with the jurors, I’ll be surprised.

February 12, 20168:39 pm

07. AzRaH – The One

(Another one who likes to spell her name with capitalized letters)

Credit where its due, AzRaH is actually doing a good job with this. Whilst I wasn’t too amazed by the studio version, I’m certainly liking it more live. It certainly has potential and I think it could actually surprise and do a lot better than many think. She carries the vocals well and has a great stage presence.

February 12, 20168:41 pm

AzRaH – The One

I am a fan, she’s doing a great job with this. Vocally she’s really impressive and she’s doing a nice job at the retro style. She carries the song well and is comfortable on stage. This is quite good for a wildcard and I’m confident it’ll beat the last score we saw…

February 12, 20168:41 pm

7. AzRaH – The One

The injection of a bit of dubstep into this jazz cafe bar song is incredibly random but so novel that I kind of like it. Anyway beyond that 20 seconds or so this doesn’t have much going for it and the vocals are a bit “skraking” (copywright Linda Martin 2015) at times.

February 12, 20168:42 pm

She’s born in Bosnia and she wishes this year’s entrants, Deen and Dalal, good luck as well. Nice, I think?

February 12, 20168:45 pm

16 points for Azra

February 12, 20168:45 pm

Jury comments:

Julie thinks she needs to work on her English as it’s difficult to follow her. Christian likes it, but thinks Eurovision isn’t the stage for her. Conchita thinks the song is strong, but the rest needs to be toned down.

February 12, 20168:46 pm

I have to say, when Vincent opened with 25, I was confident the jury was going to be strict. But the fact that a 6.25/10 on average is still in third is not a good sign at all for the mental state of this jury.

February 12, 20168:47 pm

Nick, doesn’t that mean the jury ARE being strict? Just probably more than had been anticipated!

February 12, 20168:47 pm

Actually Nick, I think it reflects that there are some songs that are so terrible that they drastically lower the average rating.

February 12, 20168:51 pm

8. Sankil Jones – “One More Sound”

Here’s the fella that’s been trying to represent Austria for what feels like a million years and he’s seemingly channeling Jason Derulo in his song and performance, despite the fact he has a REALLY low vocal tone and at times sounds like a cat being strangled.

February 12, 20168:51 pm

08. Sankil Jones – One More Sound

I don’t like this one at all – the song not only doesn’t make sense lyrically, but Sankil’s vocals sound horrible. I really couldn’t bear hearing 3 minutes of this again in May if it was selected tonight – thankfully we know that won’t happen.

February 12, 20168:52 pm

8. Sankil Jones – One More Sound

OK I didn’t like this at all on record – it’s an extremely busy song. But actually as much as it shouldn’t, Sankil’s cocky performance style kind of makes it work a little bit more, along with the OTT staging. It’s still a crap song, but it makes more sense in this context. I’d imagine this is another one in for a jury slaughtering though.

February 12, 20168:54 pm

Sankil Jones – One More Sound

That’s right, Sankil, keep on saying ‘don’t make one more sound’ because that’s what I want to tell you. His voice is really nasal. This is terrible and a 1/10 would be overrating it, I’m sorry. He doesn’t come across as a very likeable person.

February 12, 20168:55 pm

Isn’t it nice that we all hated it? Surely that means the jury will hate it too.

February 12, 20168:56 pm

Jury comments:

Madita doesn’t know if Sankil is the right man for Eurovision. She likes the performance, but you need to get to used to his voice and you can’t really discover a structure. Conchita thinks the voice is special and the combination of song and dancing works. Julie thinks the lyrics are lacking, but the performance was good. Christian is surprised, because a mediocre song was lifted by this performance. He thinks Sankil would have a good chance.

February 12, 20168:56 pm

28 points for Sankil (what are the jury drinking!?)

February 12, 20168:57 pm

28? A few lines of a certain white powder, a few needles and a few glasses, I bet.

February 12, 20168:58 pm

I wonder if they gave him such a high score because they were charmed by his Jason Derulo-like performance?

February 12, 20169:02 pm

9. Bella Wagner – “Weapons Down”

I hate this so much I can’t even dignify it with much of a response. I also admire that she was viciously out of tune in many places. Let’s see this score more than 10.

February 12, 20169:02 pm

Bella is giving such a “heartfelt” performance here she’s forgetting to his any of the notes. This is VERY difficult on the ears, not just because of the basic bitch peace lyrics. No thank you.

February 12, 20169:03 pm

Bella Wagner – Weapons Down

I loved this in studio, but seriously, Bella, what on earth? Looking like a corpse in bandages (think Caroline af Ugglas with Hon Har Inte for her outfit), very white make-up, odd hair. Off key throughout as well and she lost me.

February 12, 20169:07 pm

Bella Wagner gets 36 pts

February 12, 20169:07 pm

Jury comments:

Julie doesn’t know if Bella is the right person for Stockholm, but she does respect her originality and authenticity. She loves the bold choices. Christian thinks the message is perfect, but Bella’s appearance will be polarising and could even work as agressive. Madita thinks it’s fantastic, but she doesn’t know if Austria has the balls to send it. Conchita is amazed, loving it and loves the look.

February 12, 20169:08 pm

Oh god the jury lapped that utter dross up. I’m done.

February 12, 20169:08 pm

Finally. Zoë.

February 12, 20169:09 pm

Sophie got it right on Bella…

February 12, 20169:13 pm

10. ZOË – Loin d’ici

Absolutely stunning performance from ZOE with a beautiful backdrop. Definitely the best song of the night and the one that deserves to get the ticket tonight.

February 12, 20169:13 pm

ZOË – Loin D’Ici

Impeccable, fantastic, stunning, 10/10. Do I need to say more? The visuals for this are a knock out of the park and there’s no doubt about that if the jury has ears, this is 40/40 or really close to it. It’s playful, she looks like a princess and I need this in Stockholm.

February 12, 20169:14 pm

10. Zoe

More hot backing screen action going on here…I’m worried this song might be a bit too subtle compared to some of the things the jury has been scoring well so far. She’s singing it very well but she doesn’t have much stage presence. I’m a bit worried for this now…

February 12, 20169:15 pm

10. ZOË – “Loin d’ici”

The contest is over. Performed impeccably, the lyrics are stunning and the visuals really do match up well with the whole thing. I really do think this is Austria’s best chance of qualifying to the Final. It at least deserves to compete in the super final tonight.

February 12, 20169:19 pm

They’re slagging it off. Great.

February 12, 20169:19 pm

ZOË gets 28 points

February 12, 20169:19 pm

Jury comments:

Conchita loves the song, loves her voice, but only likes the song until a certain point. The performance was too much. Julie thinks her beauty stands alone, beautiful song, beautiful voice. She doesn’t know if Austria should go French though. Christian, rightfully, thinks the French argument is nonsense, because why would we need English and not German then? He thinks they need to work on the performance, but he loves the song. It’s close to his heart. Madita also misses a German song in the lot (can’t fault ZOË for that though), she can’t say anything negative about it, it reminds her of Vanessa Paradis and schlager.
I hate this jury.

February 12, 20169:19 pm

I am about to rant.

February 12, 20169:20 pm

There’s a tie between ZOË and Sankil in fourth. They both get 7 points.

10 goes to Elly, 9 to Bella, 8 to LiZZA

February 12, 20169:20 pm

Now. If they’re going to naturalise the jury results with 1-10 points, Zoe currently has 7. Scoring 10 in the televote and having results go her way could push that into the superficial.

February 12, 20169:21 pm

and indeed, as Nick says they have done so.

February 12, 20169:23 pm

I expect Elly to make the superfinal for sure. For Zoë to (rightfully) claim her place there, she’ll basically need to win the televote.

February 12, 20169:42 pm

We had the news in the break and now we’re having Conchita and band.

February 12, 20169:43 pm

Conchita is performing That’s What I Am…wow I thought she had retired this one!

February 12, 20169:43 pm

Not quite sure why it’s ‘That’s What I Am’, the losing national final entry and not the winner.

February 12, 20169:45 pm

Probably because Rise Like A Phoenix is done to death and doesn’t give her an opportunity to do a wanky new arrangement with her band.

February 12, 20169:50 pm

We’re now going to find out who made the top three.

February 12, 20169:51 pm

ELLY V – I’ll Be Around

February 12, 20169:52 pm

Bella Wagner – Weapons Down (oh God.)

February 12, 20169:53 pm

And the last one is:

ZOË – Loin D’Ici

February 12, 20169:53 pm

THEORY: Zoe came 3rd overall so they’ve extended the superfinal to three…maybe…

February 12, 20169:54 pm

Either way she clearly had enough public support to overcome the jury score, so the competition is very much still on.

February 12, 20169:54 pm

They’re going to knock one out now. Hope it’s Bella.

February 12, 20169:54 pm

ZOE is top 2.

February 12, 20169:54 pm

Oh “speedvoting”…intense!

February 12, 20169:55 pm

That will obviously mean ZOË will have won the televoting. I can only imagine Elly joining her.

February 12, 20169:55 pm

ELLY V is also through. Bella is out.

February 12, 20169:56 pm

So the superfinal with ‘speed voting’ will be:
ZOË – Loin D’Ici
ELLY V – I’ll Be Around (Bounce)

February 12, 20169:56 pm

ONLY THE YOUNG!!!

February 12, 20169:56 pm

So the good news is Austria have picked an absolutely quality song. COME ON ZOË!

February 12, 20169:57 pm

They’re reminding us of Andreas Kümmert here. Andi is asking both ZOË and Elly whether they’d actually accept the nomination.

February 12, 20169:59 pm

I know, the jury should be strict and it’s better to be strict than to just praise everything for the sake of praising it. However, this jury is on the verge of being bitter, for me. I’m glad they don’t have a say anymore.

February 12, 201610:04 pm

ELLY just performed again and she was really good again. The performance is just spot on and aged just 17, her confidence is incredible. The jury is now talking again, but I don’t know why. They’ve already said they love this…

February 12, 201610:05 pm

The jury aren’t exactly bias or anything here, are they? “absolute world class” says our Golden Globe and Eurovision winning songwriter…

Good luck ZOË…

February 12, 201610:08 pm

ZOË will have televote behind her and the audience IS going wild for it. I really hope she has it in the bag. She is much more comfortable on stage now and she’s lifted a performance I couldn’t thought she could lift anymore.

February 12, 201610:10 pm

Okay so I no longer thing there is bias as they have upped the jury comments here on ZOË after her second run-through, as if she herself has been lifted by that chance in the superfinal.

February 12, 201610:11 pm

Zoe was much more relaxed on stage that time – a bit improvement. However I still think if it goes to Eurovision (and I do think there’s a decent chance of that now), that there are a million things she could do with the staging that aren’t that.

February 12, 201610:12 pm

Julie ‘Full of Shit’ Frost is saying ZOË is the gem of Austria and says she’s even more powerful than the first time. And basically all jury members are glad they don’t have to make the choice. Madita however chooses ELLY V, Conchita now wants ZOË.

Funny enough: Conchita originally said she loves ZOË ‘only to a certain point’. Such nonsense.

February 12, 201610:14 pm

Voting has opened now. For 90 seconds.

February 12, 201610:16 pm

Voting closed.

February 12, 201610:17 pm

It’s literally a start from 0 here. Round 1 doesn’t count anymore. It’s all about those past 90 seconds.

February 12, 201610:17 pm

ZOË GOES TO STOCKHOLM

Content Manager: In the real world I work in PR and I love pizza, dogs and gin. When it comes to Eurovision I can be quite a cynical fan at times, but I can always be won over by a killer key-change.

Load More Related Articles