Tonight we saw an amazing Söngvakeppnin final from Reykjavik’s Laugardalshöll. All the finalists gave us wonderful performances, but in the end Daði og Gagnamagnið won the Icelandic ticket to Rotterdam.
In the 2020 Söngvakeppnin final we saw five acts compete for the right to represent Iceland in Eurovision in Rotterdam in May. Four of them qualified from the two semi-finals, while the fifth finalist received a wildcard from RÚV.
- Meet Me Halfway – Ísold & Helga (from semi 1)
- Think About Things – Daði og Gagnamagnið (from semi 2)
- Echo – Nína (wildcard)
- Oculis Videre – Iva (from semi 2)
- Almyrkvi – DIMMA (from semi 1)
In the first round, Daði og Gagnamagnið and DIMMA recieved the most votes, thereby proceeding to the duel round. This was decided by 50% televote and 50% international jury. Daði og Gagnamagnið had to stop their performance due to technical difficulties; their playback was on approximately triple speed. When they finally got to perform again, they had a great second performance, as did DIMMA. The points from the second voting round, which was 100% televote, got added to the points received in the first round. When all the votes had been added up, the results showed that Daði og Gagnamagnið will take their song “Think About Things” to the Eurovision stage in Rotterdam in May.
The international jury
The international jury has 10 members, who are either representatives of national broadcasters, journalists or singers/songwriters. This year’s members are:
- Klemens Hannigan – Icelandic singer, member of Hatari
- Alexandra Rotan – Nowegian singer, member of Keiino
- Regína Ósk – Icelandic singer, member of Euroband
- Unnsteinn Manúel – Icelandic singer, Icelandic spokesperson in 2016
- Edward af Sillén – Swedish Eurovision commentator
- Christina Schilling – Danish singer/songwriter
- Audrius Girzadas – representative of Lithuanian broadcaster
- Kleart Duraj – representative of Albanian broadcaster
- Eirini Giannara – representative of Greek broadcaster
- Ana M. Bordas – representative of Spanish broadcaster
The 2020 edition
This has been one of the most unpredictable Söngvakeppnin edition in years. Before the final most fans and experts agreed that it was a three song race, between Daði og Gagnamagnið, Iva and DIMMA. Our readers predicted a Daði og Gagnamagnið victory, while our panel of editors couldn’t quite agree on a winner.
What do you think of Iceland‘s entry? Let us know! Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel to see our reactions to the news in the run up to Rotterdam!