It’s the 1st of September, which can only mean the start of a new Eurovision season! And it seems that Estonia is wasting no time in opening submissions for Eesti Laul 2021.
Rules and regulations
Once again, Estonian broadcaster ERR will use Eesti Laul to select their entry. The submission window is open as of today and will close on 6 November.
The rules given by ERR are as follows:
- All applicants must be at least 16 years old
- The songs cannot be longer than 3 minutes
- Sending a song in Estonian costs €25, while songs in other languages will cost you €75
- If you send your application after 1 November, the price will be doubled
- All fees will go towards Estonia’s participation in Eurovision 2021
- Foreign artists and producers are welcome to take part as long as they work with an Estonian citizen
- Artists and producers can enter with a maximum of 5 entries
- Applicants must fill in a form with their song/s in MP3 or WAV format, along with the lyrics and an Estonian translation if necessary
- A biography and photos of the artist are also needed
If the previous winner of Eesti Laul, Uku Suviste, decides to participate, ERR will automatically select him for the semi finals.
24 semi finalists will be selected shortly after the deadline, and their entries will be revealed around December.
Do you have an artist in mind that you would like to see compete next year? Let them know by commenting under this post on Eesti Laul’s Instagram account!
Dates for Eesti Laul 2021 confirmed
As well as the opening of submissions for Eesti Laul 2021, ERR has also confirmed the dates for Eesti Laul 2021.
- Semi-Final 1 – February 18
- Semi-Final 2 – February 20
- Final – March 6
Further details about the Semi-Finals will be revealed in due course.
Estonia in Eurovision 2020
Uku Suviste won Eesti Laul 2020 and was set to represent Estonia with his song “What Love Is”. Eurovision was unfortunately cancelled this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who would you like to see participate in Eesti Laul 2021? Let us know in the comments section below or at social media. Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates!