Rea Garvey has won the Free European Song Contest for Ireland. In the second edition of the event, sixteen countries took to the stage. It is the first victory for the Irish in the event. Danny Vera and Amy Macdonald finished as numbers two and three in the event, representing the Netherlands and Scotland.
Rea Garvey, the successor of Nico Santos
Last year, German broadcaster ProSieben organised the event for the very first time. After the cancellation of the Eurovision Song Contest due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the broadcaster decided to come up with their own new format. The mastermind behind the format is Stefan Raab. Raab is of course famous in the Eurovision world as their 2000 entrant, 2011 host and mentor of their 2004, 2010, 2011 and 2012 entrants. No entry he was involved him finished lower than tenth.
For the Free European Song Contest, they came up with a format for the German market. Entrants who are based in Germany or are well-known in Germany would represent their home nations. Steven Gätjen and Eurovision winner Conchita Wurst have hosted both editions of the show.
Last year, Spain won the very first edition with Nico Santos. Eurovision alumnus Ilse DeLange then finished as runner-up. Today, we had another Eurovision singer in the line-up. Representing Slovenia was the 2020 German entrant Ben Dolic. He finished in fourteenth with his new single Stuck In My Mind. Other well known entrants in tonight’s show were Amy Macdonald, who sang Scotland’s début entry and Milow, famous for his hit Ayo Technology, flying the Belgian flag.
After an exciting voting, where thirteen countries used the jury vote and Austria, Germany and Switzerland used a televote, Ireland came out on top. Rea Garvey represented them with a special version of his song The One. Garvey has been living in Germany since 1998 and has been a successful artist there. He and his former band Raemonn scored several hits in Europe, including Supergirl and Tonight.
Below, you can see the full result of tonight’s show.
- Ireland: Rea Garvey – The One (116 points)
- The Netherlands: Danny Vera – Roller Coaster (94 points)
- Scotland: Amy Macdonald – Statues (77 points)
- Belgium: Milow – ASAP (77 points)
- Germany: Helge Schneider (as Udo Lindenberg) – Supergeiler Helge Schneider (69 points)
- Turkey: Elif – Alles Helal (68 points)
- Austria: Mathea – Tut mir nicht leid (67 points)
- France: Hugel ft. Bloodline – VIP (65 points)
- England: Mighty Oaks – Mexico (60 points)
- Spain: Juan Daniél – Corazón (52 points)
- Italy: Mandy Capristo – 13 Schritte (41 points)
- Switzerland: Seven – Unser kleines Wunder (40 points)
- Poland: Fantasy – Wild Boys (34 points)
- Slovenia: Ben Dolic – Stuck in my mind (27 points)
- Greece: Sotiria – Herz (23 points)
- Croatia: Jasmin Wagner – Gold (18 points)
Check out Rea Garvey and his song “The One”, the song that won the Free European Song Contest for Ireland, below! Would he make a good choice for Ireland at Eurovision 2022? Let us know!