During the TVM prime time show, Xarabank, Malta’s national broadcaster announced the 20 semi-finalists who will be in contention to fly the Maltese flag in Stockholm.
This year’s line-up features one of Malta’s greatest star, Ira Losco. Losco who ended up as runner-up in Eurovision 2002 is surely the biggest name in the competition. Ira was not present in the studio as she is currently busy with her production team finalising her new video-clip. Therefore the television programme crew went to her studio in order to break the unsurprising news.
Apart of having familiar faces, there are no less than 6 artists who are new in the Maltese selection. In tonight’s announcement show each artist performed a snippet of his/her song. Last week 49 pre-selected acts were short-listed from the 153 entries submitted in October.
The semi-finalists chosen tonight will compete in a semi-final show on Friday 22nd January while the national final is set to feature 14 acts on Saturday 23rd January 2016.
This year’s national selection shows will take place at the former Knights’ hospital better known as the Mediterranean Conference Centre in Valletta.
The semi-finalists in the 2016 Malta Eurovision Song Contest
- Maxine Pace – Young Love
- Deborah C – All Around the World
- Lawrence Gray – You’re Beautiful
- Brooke – Golden
- Raquel Galdes – Flashing Lights
- Corazon – Falling Glass
- Kimberley Cortis – Lighthouse
- Jasmine Abela – Alive
- Domenique Azzopardi – Empty Hearted
- Jessika – The Flame
- Daniel Testa – Under the Sun
- Ira Losco – That’s Why I Love You
- Franklin Calleja – Little Love
- Dario Mifsud Bonnici – I Love You
- Dominic – Fire Burn
- Danica Muscat – Frontline
- Ira Losco – Chameleon (Invincible)
- Christabelle Borg – Kingdom
- Sarah Crystal – Right Here With You
- Stefan Galea – Light Up My Life