The Icelandic national broadcaster RÚV have just revealed the artists and the songs of their national selection for Eurovision Song Contest 2022. Ten songs are taking part in Söngvakeppnin 2022.
- Amarosis – Don’t You Know
- Haffi Haff – Gía / Volcano
- Hanna Mia & The Astrotourists – Séns með þér / Gemini
- Suncity & Sanna – Hækkum í botn / Keep it cool
- Katla – Þaðan af / Then Again
- Markéta Irglová – Mögulegt / Possible
- Reykjavikurdaetur – Tökum af stað / Turn This Around
- Sigga, Beta og Elín – Með hækkandi sól
- Stefán Óli – Ljósið / All I Know
- Stefanía Svavarsdottir – Hjartað mitt / Heart of Mine
Probably the most well-known name of the selection is Markéta Irglová. In 2008, the Czech singer-songwriter won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for “Falling Slowly” from the movie Once. She also was the main actress of the movie. She moved to Iceland in 2012 and speaks fluent Icelandic.
Haffi Haff took part in Iceland’s national selection in 2008, but failed to make it to the final. Stefanía Svavarsdóttir has participated in Söngvakeppnin in 2013 and 2015.
Söngvakeppnin 2022 will consists of two semi-finals and the final. RÚV had to postpone the whole contest and now the first semi-final takes place on 26th of February, the second semi-final on 5th of March and the final on 12th of March.
The winner of Söngvakeppnin will represent Iceland at the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 in Turin, Italy. Iceland will take part in the first semifinal of the contest and they will perform on the second half of the show on May 10th.
Who is your favourite to represent Iceland in Eurovision 2022? Let us know! Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel to see our reactions to the news in the upcoming months.