Last year, the MTV Europe Music Awards 2019 were hosted in Seville, Spain. The list of winners, as expected, comprised of stars like Halsey, BTS and Billie Eilish (none of whom are Europeans). However, joining them were Mahmood, MARUV, Roksana Węgiel and Victor Kiral.
Once again, a host of familiar faces from the Eurovision bubble are currently nominated for European Music Awards. The show will be airing globally on Sunday, November 8, 2020. Voting is currently open.
In the meantime, here are some familiar faces that are currently up for nomination:
Sanremo stars dominate Best Italian Act
- Diodato (Eurovision 2020, winner of Sanremo 2020)
- Elettra Lamborghini (Sanremo 2020)
- Irama (Sanremo 2016 and 2019)
- Levante (Sanremo 2020)
In addition, Sanremo 2020 eurofan favourite Elodie is currently nominated as a wildcard for the category. She is joined by fellow Sanremo 2020 alums Achille Lauro, and second runner-ups Pinguini Tattici Nucleari.
Festival da Canção stars dominate Best Portugese Act
The Best Portuguese Act category was a similar story. Of the five nominees, three have been involved in Festival da Canção in the past three years.
- Dino D’Santiago (Festival da Canção 2020 composer and Eurovision 2018 interval act)
- Diogo Piçarra (Festival da Canção 2018)
- Fernando Daniel (Festival da Canção 2017)
Other Eurovision-related nominees
Elsewhere in Europe, there were some other familiar faces among the nominees list:
- 🇭🇺 Eurovision 2013 alum ByeAlex is nominated for Best Hungarian Act along with his band (as ‘ByeAlex és a Slepp’)
- 🇵🇱 Krajowe Eliminacje 2016 runner-up and two-time Melodifestivalen participant Margaret is nominated for Best Polish Act
- 🇪🇸 Beloved Spanish chanteuse and Operación Triunfo alum Aitana is nominated for Best Spanish Act
Stay tuned for the results next month; we’ll be sure to report back if any of our friends win.
Who are you rooting for? Will you be watching the EMAs? Let us know! Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel to see our reactions to the over the coming months.