Recently the members of Eurovision clubs around the world have been selecting their entries for the annual OGAE Video Contest 2021. After victory last year with the music video for Agnes – ‘Fingers Crossed‘, this year’s hosts are OGAE Sweden. Now they have revealed the 24 competing entries for the 2021 edition.
What is the OGAE Video Contest?
The OGAE Video Contest is one of three main fan contests hosted annually by the OGAE International Network. Together the members of national OGAE clubs across are united through their love of music from their home nation. Whether it is through OGAE Second Chance, to find the best national final entry that didn’t make it to Eurovision, the OGAE Song Contest to select the best song of the last year, or the OGAE Video Contest to find the best music video.
Not to be confused with the OGAE Song Contest, which was won this year by OGAE Australia and Tones and I, the OGAE Video Contest is purely a visual contest. Thus it is about art direction, choreography and how the song translates through the music video. Since 2003, each OGAE club has been selecting and voting for their favourite videos. So far 50 countries have been represented in the contest. Currently it is France and Russia tied for the most wins, on three each.
The rules are as follows, courtesy of OGAE:
- Have been released on an album or as a single on vinyl, CD or as a digital download no earlier than the start of the previous year of the Contest.
- The song must be an original version, not a cover or remix.
- The video should have been released by the relevant artist.
- The video shall not be a recording of a live performance/concert.
- The relevant song shall not have participated in the Eurovision Song Contest, Junior Eurovision, OGAE Second Chance Contest or OGAE Song Contest or any related public Eurovision preselections.
- The performer of the song must have the nationality of the country whose club they are representing. In the case of groups, at least one of the members must have the nationality of the national club they are representing.
- The song may be sung in any language.
- The video shall not have a duration longer than 5 minutes (excluding credits).
OGAE Video Contest 2021
Below are the participants for the 2021 edition of the OGAE Video Contest, as announced by OGAE Sweden. Among the list includes familiar Eurovision names, such as – Netta, Eleni Foureira, Albina, Little Big, Iveta Mukuchyan, Hovig, Lozano, Anis Don Demina, NEEV and Brooke. As well as Sanremo Festival participants – Fedez, Achille Lauro and Orietta Berte.
- 🇬🇷 Greece: Eleni Foureira – ‘Aeraki (To Thiliko)’
- 🇵🇱 Poland: Teresa Werner – ‘Słodkości’
- 🇷🇸 Serbia: Milica Pavlović – ‘Dabogda Propao’
- 🇧🇪 Belgium: Dua Lipa feat. Angèle – ‘Fever’
- 🇲🇰 North Macedonia: Lozano – ‘Vardare’
- 🇸🇪 Sweden: Anis Don Demina – ‘Flaggan i topp’
- 🇺🇸 Rest of the World: John Duff – ‘High Heels’
- 🇨🇾 Cyprus: Hovig – ‘An diliazo min thimonis’
- 🇫🇷 France: Julien Doré – ‘Nous’
- 🇷🇺 Russia: Little Big & Netta – ‘Moustache’
- 🇱🇻 Latvia: Ivo Fomins – ‘Tu man esi’
- 🇪🇪 Estonia: NOËP – ‘Head Out Of The Water’
- 🇬🇧 United Kingdom: Jessie Ware – ‘What’s Your Pleasure?’
- 🇨🇿 Czech Republic: Daniell – ‘AIM’
- 🇭🇷 Croatia: Albina – ‘La La Love’
- 🇵🇹 Portugal: NEEV – ‘Something Trivial’
- 🇺🇦 Ukraine: Onuka – ‘GUMA’
- 🇭🇺 Hungary: Pál Péter – ‘Hogyha lejönnél’
- 🇩🇪 Germany: Wincent Weiss – ‘Wer wenn nicht wir’
- 🇦🇺 Australia: Kylie Minogue – ‘Say Something’
- 🇮🇹 Italy: Fedez, Achille Lauro and Orietta Berti – ‘Mille’
- 🇦🇲 Armenia: Iveta Mukuchyan – ‘Tur Patjar’
- 🇲🇹 Malta: Brooke – ‘Over’
- 🇹🇷 Turkey: BEGE & Emir Taha – ‘B.S.G.’
Each participating OGAE club has until 28th November to submit their votes. While the full results are due no later than 24th December. Usually the winning nation hosts the next edition. But next year is all change. Recently the Presidents from each member club passed a motion to merge both the OGAE Song Contest and OGAE Video Contest into one event. After the winner of the OGAE Video Contest 2021 is announced, the OGAE International Network will decide which of the two winning clubs from 2021 will host the new format. Unless of course, Australia wins both…
OGAE Video Contest 2020
Last year it was former Melodifestivalen star, Agnes that gave Sweden its first win in the contest. Through the eye of the beholder, fan clubs worldwide saw the beauty in the kaleidescope visuals of ‘Fingers Crossed’. Which amassed a total of 157 points. Meanwhile the United Kingdom finished third last with Declan McKenna – ‘Daniel, You’re Still a Child’. Hoping to do much better this time around is British singer-songwriter, Jessie Ware. This year OGAE UK chose ‘What’s Your Pleasure?‘, also featured on the album of the same name.
Which is your favourite to win the OGAE Video Contest 2021? Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, give us a follow on Spotify for the latest music from your favourite Eurovision acts. As well as subscribing to YouTube for our reactions in the run up to the national final season and the Turin 2022 contest!