OGAE UK has revealed the results of the 2018 OGAE Song Contest, and it is the United Kingdom, through the participation of OGAE UK, that takes the trophy this year, with “Physical” by Dua Lipa!
This will be third consecutive year that OGAE UK won the competition. In 2018, OGAE UK won the competition with Steps and last year, Lewis Capaldi took the helm.
What is the OGAE Song Contest?
The OGAE Song Contest first took place in 1986, between different OGAE national clubs. It is an auditory contest, which means that national clubs each submit one song as a track, and not as a performance or a videoclip (for the latter, there is the OGAE Video Contest). Voters should only judge the tracks.
The rules are as follows (courtesy of OGAE):
- Have been commercially released prior to the entry submission date;
- Be performed in a/the national language of the nominating OGAE national club;
- Be an original version (not a remix);
- Have been released on an album or as a single on vinyl, CD or as a digital download;
- Be a studio not a live recording;
- Not have previously participated in the Eurovision Song Contest, OGAE Second Chance Contest, or OGAE Video Contest [Junior Eurovision entries are also ineligible subject to a rule change by the Presidents];
- Be performer by an individual with the nationality of the nominating OGAE national club. For groups, at least one performer must have the nationality of the nominating national club; and
- Be of a maximum duration of 5 minutes.
Which songs competed at the 2020 OGAE Song Contest?
The running order for this year’s competition is as follows:
- 🇨🇾 Cyprus: Constantinos Christoforou ft. ONE – “Billy Bam Bam”
- 🇱🇻 Latvia: Lauris Reiniks – “Dīvaini Mierīgi”
- 🇲🇹 Malta: Scar – “Never Enough”
- 🇨🇿 Czech Republic: Ivana Korolova – “Paleo”
- 🇺🇦 Ukraine: Tina Karol & Yulia Sanina – “Vilna”
- 🇭🇺 Hungary: Szilvia Péter Szabó – “Két vilàg közt”
- 🇧🇪 Belgium: Ycare & Axelle Red – “I Don’t Care (Je m’en moque)”
- 🇵🇱 Poland: Viki Gabor & Kayah – “Ramie w ramie”
- 🇮🇹 Italy: Diodato – “Che vita meravigliosa”
- 🇸🇪 Sweden: Darin – “En säng av rosor”
- 🇵🇹 Portugal: Barbara Tinoco – “Sei la”
- 🇩🇪 Germany: Sarah Connor – “Vincent”
- 🇬🇷 Greece: Nikos Oikonomopoulos – “Valto terma”
- 🇦🇺 Australia: Jaguar Jonze – “Kill Me With Your Love”
- 🇲🇰 North Macedonia: Lozano – “Ne te vadem od pamet”
- 🇬🇧 United Kingdom: Dua Lipa – “Physical”
- 🇹🇷 Turkey: Murda & Ezhel – “Aya”
- 🇧🇬 Bulgaria: 4Magic – “Vselena”
- 🇩🇰 Denmark: Jung – “Blitz Baby”
- 🇭🇷 Croatia: Franka – “Prvi osjecaj”
- 🇺🇸 Rest of the World (United States): AJR – “Bang”
- 🇫🇷 France: Vitaa & Slimane – “Ça va, ça vient”
- 🇷🇺 Russia: Shary – “Molchanka”
- 🇫🇮 Finland: Behm – “Hei rakas”
- 🇮🇪 Ireland: Secret Garden ft. Brian Kennedy – “Beautiful”
- 🇷🇸 Serbia: Hurricane – “Favorito”
- 🇸🇮 Slovenia: Nina Puslar – “Svet na dlani”
- 🇪🇸 Spain: Pastora Soler & Blas Canto – “Mi luz”
You are able to find the breakdown of the results right here.
OGAE Song Contest 2019
Last year, the United Kingdom won the OGAE Song Contest for the second time in a row. With 241 points, Lewis Capaldi was victorious with his smash hit “Someone You Loved”. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper finished in second place, representing OGAE Rest of the World, with “Shallow” from A Star is Born.
We would like to congratulate OGAE UK for achieving their third win in the competition.
Do you think the right song won in this year’s competition? Let us know! Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel to see our reactions to the news in the upcoming months.