The broadcaster responsible for the Swedish participation at the Eurovision Song Contest – SVT has today (26th August) opened the submission window for entries for MelFest in 2023. This comes After confirming their Eurovision 2023 participation a few weeks ago.
Melodifestivalen Selection Rules
SVT also published a list of rules for the 2023 selection. Some of them include the following:
- 28 entries will compete
- SVT is striving to include at least 10 songs that are predominantly in the Swedish language
- Swedish citizens and residents (as of August 26 2022) may take part as composer and lyricists.
- SVT also welcomes non-Swedish citizens or residents to participate. This is as long as their entry has at least one Swedish songwriter or lyricists
- SVT hopes to have 50% of its total entries written by female songwriters or lyricists
- Each entry must have a maximum of 8 people on stage. In the event the entry is selected, only 6 may participate at Eurovision (in accordance with EBU rules)
- Entries to the competition must not have been previously made available to the public
- All competitors must enter on the grounds that they are prepared to participate at Eurovision
Sweden at the Eurovision Song Contest
Sweden is one of the contest’s strongest performing nations, with a total of six wins under their belt. At the 2022 contest, Cornelia Jakobs led Sweden to their best result since 2015, despite the country achieving numerous top 10 results in the years following Måns’s victory. Her intimate yet powerful performance of “Hold Me Closer” placed 4th in the Grand Final, achieving a total of 438 points. Who will be Cornelia’s successor, and will they lead Sweden to an even better placing in 2023?
Who do you want to compete in MelFest? Let us know! Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, be sure to follow us on Spotify and YouTube to see our reactions to the news in the run up to the Eurovision Song Contest 2023.