We know that The Voice and Eurovision have been going hand in hand for the past few years. This can vary in each country and scenario. However, the main trend is usually previous Eurovision participants are either a Coach or a previous contestant. Well in Australia, they just announced the coaching line-up for the upcoming season of The Voice.
One of the coaches Guy Sebastian (who represented Australia at Eurovision in 2015) expressed his excitement about returning to the show for another season, with his fellow coaches.
Familiar faces joining the panel
One of the names confirmed to join the panel is ‘Rita Ora’. She auditioned for Eurovision: Your Country Needs You back in 2009. Rita is already familiar with ‘The Voice’. She was a coach in the UK edition of the show in its 4th season. During her stint, she was the coach of Joe Woolford, who went ahead and represent the UK in 2016 with Jake Shakeshaft.
Another familiar name on the coaching panel is Jessica Mauboy. She represented Australia at the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest, with the song ‘We Got Love’. The announcement comes after it was confirmed that she signed a record deal with Warner Music Australia.
Rounding off the coaching panel is Keith Urban. He has appeared in The Voice Australia previously and is returning after a nine-season hiatus. Even though he has no relation to Eurovision, he has performed with fellow coach Jessica Mauboy previously.
The Voice Australia and Eurovision
Over the past nine seasons, the following participants have appeared in either selection shows or in Eurovision itself:
- Anja Nissen – The third season winner, who was mentored by will.i.am. She went on to represent Denmark at the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest, with her entry ‘Where I Am‘. Her entry placed 20th overall.
- Alfie Arcuri – Alfie, was mentored by Delta Goodrem in the fifth season. He participated in the first Eurovision: Australia Decides with the song ‘To Myself‘ where he placed fifth. In addition to this, he also co-wrote Cyprus’s Eurovision 2020 ‘Running’ by Sandro.
- Bella Paige – Bella participated in both The Voice Kids Australia where she was mentored by The Madden brothers and The Voice, where she was mentored by Kelly Rowland. Bella is known for being Australia’s first participant in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2015 with the song ‘My Girls’. Her participation saw Australia placed eighth.
- Jack Vidgen – Jack, who was mentored by Guy Sebastian in the eighth season of the show. He participated in the 2020 edition of Eurovision: Australia Decides with ‘I Am King, I Am Queen’, which placed eighth.
- Jordan Anthony – Jordan, who also appeared in the eighth season, was mentored by Delta Goodrem. He went on to represent Australia at the 2019 Junior Eurovision Song Contest, with the song ‘We Will Rise‘. Jordan managed to place eighth overall.
In the recent season of The Voice Australia, we saw EQUINOX member Johnny Manuel auditioned for the show. His participation in the contest was a success, as he managed to progress into the Grand Final.
What do you think of the new coaching line-up for The Voice Australia? Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram, and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel to see our reactions to the news over the coming months.