Last month, Danish broadcaster Danmarks Radio (DR) officially confirmed that Denmark will once again return to compete at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2023. This week, DR confirmed that Dansk Melodi Grand Prix will be used once again to select their entry.
DR confirms Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2023
The submission window for the 2023 edition of Dansk Melodi Grand Prix opened this week. The selection has been used since 1957.
- All vocals must be performed live.
- At least one person out of the composer(s), lyricist(s) or performing artist(s) must be a Danish citizen or have a strong connection to Denmark eg. residence in Denmark, marriage to a Danish citizen etc.
- Before the full list of participants and entries are revealed by DR, no one is allowed to reveal any part of the list.
- If a song has been performed or released publicly, DR will decide whether or not the song has gained an unfair advantage in the competition and if the song is still eligible to participate.
- No DR employees nor members of their families may participate in Dansk Melodi Grand Prix unless special permission has been granted.
- Residents of the Faroe Islands and Greenland who are on the local population register may also compete.
- There is no language restriction for entries. In case of a language change request for the winning entry, the artist must agree with DR on what language the song will be performed in at Eurovision 2023.
A total of eight songs will be selected to compete from the public submissions and Danish music industry submissions.
Denmark at the Eurovision Song Contest
Out of 51 total participations, Denmark has won the Eurovision Song Contest three times – in 1963, 2000 and 2013, and placed in the top 3 seven times.
Earlier this year in Turin, pop-rock band Reddi gave us a throwback to the 70s when they represented Denmark with the song “The Show”. They placed 13th in Semi Final 1 with a total of 55 points.
Who would you like to see representing Denmark in 2023? Let us know by leaving a comment below! Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter, @escxtra on Instagram, @escxtra on TikTok and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, be sure to follow us on Spotify for the latest music from your favourite ESC and JESC acts.